• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Paccar vs Cummins Engines

dieseldog5.9

I am unfamiliar with Paccar engines, all the engines I deal with are DT466's, C15, 3406E/B, Big Cams, Mack, and Now ISX.

My question: A local individual who wether he knows or not talks like he does, he stated that the paccar engine in the T800 he just bought is the same as a cummins, not sure if he thought they are made by Cummins or designed by cummins, but not sure if this is true or not.

dieseldog5.9

So cummins makes the engine, and badges it paccar. I have dealt with cummins in Komatsu.

Can you buy parts at cummins dealer or do you have to go through the Pete/Kw dealer?

Is there a 15 Liter Paccar?

wattsbackhoe

Occupation
Business owner
Paccar px-7 (ISB) and px-9 (ISL) are Cummins engines re badged. The larger Paccar engines are not Cummins products.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm not aware of an ISX PX , not to say it doesn't exist. I have been away from the truck market for quite a while. I believe parts can be purchased and service can be had at the Cummins dealer.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
What Wattsbackhoe said.

The MX-11 and MX-13 are DAF engines. The early MX-13 was a disaster. Put a lot of owner-ops out of business due to downtime. A Sister Co, tried some in Pete’s. Major mistake. Kenworth Alaska refused to order rigs with the MX-13 because of all the issues.

pushbroom

As said above PX series are rebadged Cummins ISB, ISC, ISL. All parts and service are through Cummins and they use Insite to hook up to them.
MX 11 and 13 are DAF and use Davie to hook up.
MX 11 and 13 do use Cummins aftertreatment however.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
mx-13's in any new pete are a giant turd, the aftertreatment is constantly spitting codes and with our 20 truck fleet its not cost effective to pay for the davey diagnostics, we do what we can with aftermarket diagnostics, but they're constantly at the dealer.. aside from that the engines are jammed into the frame like 40 lbs. of crap into a 20 lb. sack, can't even fit your hand in between the engine and frame rail to access components...I've worked on a lot of different trucks/engines over the years and these are the worst...

Coaldust

Occupation
Worse than, say EPA 2010 era MaxxFarce Internationals?

PACCAR must have been so desperate for vertical integration, they settled on DAF.
How did that conversation at corporate headquarters go?

“ Hey, this is not fair!. Everyone else has a engine. Why don’t we have an engine? Well sir, we made an offer to Cummins and they told us to fly a kite. What did we offer them? Not enough. Hey boss, there is this crappy company in the Netherlands, we can probably get it cheap. How much? 540 million and some Seattle Mariners tickets. Buy it!”.

Coaldust

Occupation
Carlile Transportation somehow ended up with some MX13 powered Pete’s after Saltchuck sold Interstate to Heartland Express. They were used for Tacoma to Anchorage runs.

The rigs broke down in Canada so often, the downtime and cost became unsustainable. The most dependable unit went 75k miles before in-frame was needed. To the auction, they went. .

Coaldust

Occupation
2010EPA and the economic aftermath is incredible. Regarding the resources our industry has wasted trying to keep these trucks running. Labor hours, wasted fuel with regens, shortened engine life, scrap metal, rare earth metals used to make the after-treatment devices, truck downtime while drivers sit, shortened oil drain intervals, Yada-yada

I’m making bank fixing this stuff, but the average consumer is paying for it with every bag of Cheetos they purchase.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Don't forget the fact that all you have to do now to remove all the soot from your system after it's sucked into the magic DPF is to spray some magic pee (urea) on it and all the bad disappears....TADA....smoke and mirrors and and a GIANT, expensive pain in the keister for everyone in the industries, including construction and farming, nobody's exempt.....

dieseldog5.9

I stopped into a buddys shop last month, he had 2 X15's with windows in the side, and 2 C15 Cats on crates to replace them.