• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

paccar or cummings

icestationzebra

I have a hard time believing they would put an abrasivein in the oil as it would wear on all the rotating parts. I could see them use an oil without some additives though, or maybe a little on the thin side. I'm sure Cummins knows what properties affect the rings most without killing the cam. ISZ

Landclearer

We had the Cummins and we're not happy at all. It had some electrical issues, nothing bad but a pain. The truck had an 18 speed and I thought it was sluggish and the fast drop off in rpms made it hard to shift. We now have two Paccars, no issues so far and the drive more like a Cat. The Paccar get anywhere from .5 to 1 mpg better also. We got ours from Whited Pete and the salesman said they are now selling more Paccars than Cummins. He said he has several customers that are trading the Cummins in on the Paccar. He did say the 455hp with 1650 torque up to 2013 were not good but the new 500 hp are doing real well and are well liked.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

I suppose some of the Bon Ami would end up in the oil but as mentioned it was introduced into the intake manifold with the turbo disconnected.

Some of the low speed marine/stationary engines had ports in the necks of the manifold so the "seating compound" could be applied as a matter of course to individual cylinders. . . these engines could have individual cylinders refurbished as part of the normal maintenance regime.

Cheers.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have a hard time believing they would put an abrasivein in the oil as it would wear on all the rotating parts. I could see them use an oil without some additives though, or maybe a little on the thin side. I'm sure Cummins knows what properties affect the rings most without killing the cam. ISZ

It wearing everything was what was bugging me also. Sure would like to know what the magic is.

Truck Shop

I knew when I said something about Cummins wonder oil this thread would buzzzzz. I don't know what's in it [snake oil I guess] but I will find out if someone else doesn't first.
The oil costs 65 to 70 a gallon and the large ISX holds 12.5 to 13 gallons.

The 013 to present ISX isn't as bad as the 012 and down engines. We had three 2010's rated at 550 that burned a gallon a week from new till 400,000. Each truck was constantly
in the shop it seemed. Because of the oil usage those trucks were always having a plugged particulate filter problem, plus each truck had them crack twice and replaced at big bucks.
Cummins didn't have the wonder oil at that time, we got rid of them at 400 and not to soon. One month after the next owner bought them from that dealer two of those trucks
had major engine failure, $40,000 worth. Not trying to scare anyone or talk bad about big red, just some trouble we had.

Truck Shop

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I don't think any body had any thing worth owning (engine wise) from 08-13. But now y'all got me wondering about these now. I would rather have a glider with a 60 series or a 6nz but I haven't found any thing with an allison have heard that they are out there just can't locate one in any specs