• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oxygen/thermal Lance for kingpin removal

Delmer

Sounds like a good plan.

I'd never bother with the other side though, if the bearing is still there, grease it once a year and it will outlive both of us.

Coytee

Gack, you're right.

I actually posted the results somewhere else, having totally forgotten about this thread!

Pin is out/fixed. Was a BEAR of a job to do. Had to fabricate a cradle to hold a 30 ton jack. Took a lot of persistence. When the pin finally broke loose (meaning it went from frozen to moving about 1/2 of an inch) there was so much pressure the entire machine shook. It was bending the steel on the cradle. I had an idea, rather than to hit the PIN, I hit the axle and with that pent up pressure in there, everything cut loose and it broke free. We then had to "inch" it out bit by bit with little extensions to keep moving. Honed the hole and the new one went right in. It WAS a major fight though, especially for (at best) a 'quasi-backyard mechanic' and his friend.

Pictures below.

DSCN7880.JPG DSCN7882.JPG DSCN7885.JPG DSCN7886.JPG

Coytee

I might add (in case I never mentioned it) I originally tried to put the jack under the pin....with the 'full weight' (ha) of the machine holding it down.

That was a major fail because:

1. I didn't have the FULL weight of the machine holding the pin to the jack
2. Even if I DID have the "full" weight of the machine, we're looking at a 30 ton jack and a seven'ish ton (I think) machine
3. Jack simply lifted front of machine up to the extent it could reach. So we had to figure out a way to immobileize the jack, relative to the machine.
4. I don't know how creative the solution is but it's the idea I came up with. My neighbor (with full machine shop) fabricated it for me and was there for the victory dance when it broke loose.