• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oxy-propane rosebud torch

Shimmy1

A few years ago, a local welder helped me remove a stuck pin. He pulled out a rosebud torch that ran off propane. It had a rectangular tip with about 10 holes in it. That torch put out more heat than anything I've ever seen. Anyone know what it is, and where a guy can get one? I drew a very crude pic of what it looked like. IMG_20240210_122232432~2.jpg

crane operator

Seriously, you can get a rosebud tip to a million BTU. zoro or grainger.

Harris 2290 -5H

tips.jpg

rosebud tips.jpg

Shimmy1

What do you put those on? I realize this seems like a silly question, but I've never been around anything other than a Victor or Smith torch body.

crane operator

You can get the whole handle assembly, and/or depending on which body you have, you may be able to just get the tube portion that connects to your mixing handle.

harris heads and tips.jpg

Last edited:

crane operator

You can get acetylene or propane tips- they are different. Most guys use propane for rosebud applications because the gas is a lot cheaper.

Labparamour

I’ve also heard that drawing high volume from smaller acetylene cylinders can pull out the acetone…creating dangerous condition.
I’ve use the cutting head to heat but then bought oxy/propane setup for cutting and for rosebud tip

crane operator

For the really large rosebuds, you may have to go to 3/8" hoses to get enough flow.

Just for fun, and if you have one. You could try heating those scraper pins with a weed burner. Most are rated about half a million btu, and you wouldn't be running any oxygen.

You aren't going to get the concentrated heat like a rosebud, but maybe for your "night before" just heating the whole works up to get it to bust the rust, one of those might work. A lot of the thick wall pipe welders will use a weed burner for preheat.

weed burner.jpg

Shimmy1

We tried one of those. Absolute waste of time. Preheating for welding only needs to be about 250-300°F, we were getting it up over 800°. It took two torches focusing on a narrow area to get those pins to move.

Obviously Victor isn't as readily available as this Harris stuff. They do make one up to 500k BTU. Maybe I should get a Harris body, and just have quick-connects? Here is the Victor head I found.

SÜA Heating Nozzle/Rosebud 15-MFN Replacement for 300 Series Victor Torch Handles. Oxy/Propane

Ooops.....found a bigger one.

Last edited:

IceHole

At least for cutting you will use twice as much oxygen, but oxygen is way cheaper than acetylene. Acetylene tank last month was 130 ft3, cost me $120.
Unless I don't have access to power and air, I use plasma for cutting, so much cheaper and I'm better with it.

I keep a small oxy/acetylene setup on hand for heating. I've maybe filled it 2 or 3 timesin 15 years.

crane operator

I think I would go for arrestors if I had my choice. My only experience with a flash back in a handle, was while running a rosebud. Its no fun.

I have no idea on the 310/315 and my old "know it all" guy at a welding supply shop retired.

Shimmy1

One thing I know for sure. I've been dreading getting those pins out for over 10 years. The pan I've had the longest had one pin replaced before I got it. After seeing that whole pin boss burned black, I had always wondered what we were going to do when the time came that the others needed pins, bushings, or cylinder repack. These 6 pins have given us a fair bit of a sense of accomplishment.

Old Doug

You can get the whole handle assembly, and/or depending on which body you have, you may be able to just get the tube portion that connects to your mixing handle.

View attachment 305253
John Harris invented the cutting torch. My first summer out of High school my first paycheck i bought a new Harris torch set up . It was $140.00 just about what i made that week. I have had every part of it rebuilt at one time or another it was a very good thing to spend money on back 40 years ago. I use propane with it and have bought a rosebud and a bigger cutting only torch.

AllDodge

I got one a couple years ago after the 955 bucket ripped open on one end. Haven't used it since.

Don't use regular Oxy hoses with propane I bought another set, forget what type it is, HEF told me what I should use