• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload vs misload axel weights

Hammer03

So they way I understand it is of your gross weight is under you are ok, but if you are over weight on 1 or 2 Axel's out of 6 or 7 total it I just a misload ticket in reference to a dumptruck hauling sand.
Now my question is how does this fall with cranes since they are permanently mounted to a truck or trailer there I wouldnt think a misload is even possible. Misload tickets are a slap on the wrist compared to over gross weight tickets. my senario is, is during frost laws spring season we are reduced Axel's weights by35% in my state so the majority of the year I have no problems. But come this time of the year I known I will be over on 2 of the Axel's for sure but if I add one or two more I would be under my gross weight which would make me good on that part but not holding to that 35 percent reduced on 2 of the Axel's

Shimmy1

Need to get a permit if you're overweight on axles, even if it's only one. Permit probably won't amount to much money, but the man in the tan coveralls is going to want to see it.

crane operator

In my state, I'm limited to 20,000 per axle, even with the permit. Some guys just avoid the scales if they know they are over.

They will write you a ticket for being over on individual axles, they can put you out of service until it makes weight if they want to. Its really hard in some states to make axle weights with a crane. You won't just get a "misload" ticket as a crane, if you're over, you're over.

I'm required to do daily, one way only, permits for my larger cranes. All permits are for a "non- reduceable" load. Meaning if you can pull off counterweights, they have to come off, even if you had room in gross and per axle on a permitted load, if it can come off, it has to come off to get the permit. The permit application is all online so its not a huge deal to get the permits. Many states will let you purchase a annual for state roads.

A 35% reduction in each axle loads for frost going out, is going to make you have to buy a lot lighter crane.

crane operator

Just a word of advice also, if I was buying a new boom truck, I'd splurge for a twin steer truck, if I was getting a 50-60 ton rig. All those air lift axles are fine going down the road, but the first time you pick them up and dive off into a muddy truss job, the front end is going to disappear. I wouldn't do tri drive either. They are always spinning a wheel. I'd do twin steer and tandem drive plus whatever axles I'd need to make bridge/legal load with air lift axles.

Raildudes dad

I approve the crane permits for our county. The cranes guys either park their cranes in their yard or on a job site during weight restrictions. The City doesn't apply weight restrictions so some position cranes in the city so they can work there. It's a cost of business of living and working in MI. The frost leaves the ground every spring.

td25c

We leave one crane parked in town for that very reason .

Our rural gravel roads can get pretty soft after a thaw out from a long freeze .