• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

MG84

I admit I enjoy watching those videos from third world countries. I don't agree with everything they do, but they aren't afraid to get stuff done, sometimes in unique ways you wouldn't think of. Also puts things in perspective of how (relatively) easy we have it here.

skyking1

My wife spotted this getting loaded up at Bigfoot Piling the other day, so I stopped and took some pictures. They hauled it out that night.
@Tugger2 might know what exactly it is. I think it is a fender assembly that slides over some pilings, and they french cut those bottoms so it was easier to get started. That is my WAG and I'm sticking to it.
The little sealed up side pipes are what is throwing me.
PXL_20240202_000217520.jpg

PXL_20240202_000243403.jpg

PXL_20240202_000253850.jpg

Old Doug

I admit I enjoy watching those videos from third world countries. I don't agree with everything they do, but they aren't afraid to get stuff done, sometimes in unique ways you wouldn't think of. Also puts things in perspective of how (relatively) easy we have it here.
I wish somehow I could ship a bunch of stuff and sell it to them . I think they would buy alot of the used stuff i have.

Tugger2

Looks like some kind of mooring dolphin rub pipes up the sides and along the top to keep lines from snagging.Drive 3 36"? cans and drop it over top. Sure saves all that low tide welding. We do that sort of thing up here ,but everything is epoxy coated. Im really impressed with the galvanizing,must be one hell of a dip tank.

cw4Bray

I saw a TV commercial from an ambulance chaser recently, targeting hotshot trucks. He was claiming commercial pickup trucks try to skirt truck FMCSA rules. He didn't address overloads, but claimed, ambulance chasing a pickup truck accident was lucrative.

BC Placer gold

Driving into town this morning past the scale (Vernon) heard truckers on Ladd 1 mention a CVSE (our DOT equivalent) ‘crackdown’. Scale has been mostly closed for the last while.

They mentioned a 200 sized hoe on a lowbed pulled over…securement was two ratchet straps over the track frames! Saw the load still sitting there 3 hours later when headed home.

I would say this is unusual, normally a pretty high standard of lowbed/heavy hauler around here.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

I saw a TV commercial from an ambulance chaser recently, targeting hotshot trucks. He was claiming commercial pickup trucks try to skirt truck FMCSA rules. He didn't address overloads, but claimed, ambulance chasing a pickup truck accident was lucrative.

Man I hate those guys. I love how most of the fear mongering footage is overseas stuff anyway.
Never seen a Scania or Man cabover in the US . . .

skyking1

Driving into town this morning past the scale (Vernon) heard truckers on Ladd 1 mention a CVSE (our DOT equivalent) ‘crackdown’. Scale has been mostly closed for the last while.

They mentioned a 200 sized hoe on a lowbed pulled over…securement was two ratchet straps over the track frames! Saw the load still sitting there 3 hours later when headed home.

I would say this is unusual, normally a pretty high standard of lowbed/heavy hauler around here.
That's pretty epic incompetence. It seems like somebody got in the wrong seat that day.

Truck Shop

When I tow & lift by rear axle, the axle forks I custom built with a 5" depth in fork, so
5" fingers on both sides of housing. Then I use a straight belt no hook 4"W rachet strap
rated at 6,000 lbs working 16,000 tear over axle and around drawbar stinger, I use two.
Now When your buzzing down the Freeway and come upon a class 8 making a tow there
is a 50-50 chance she's riding on the forks only. My Straps are legal, now if I was moving
truck and trailer together it would chained and cinched with a rachet binder.
th.jpg

MG84

That's pretty epic incompetence. It seems like somebody got in the wrong seat that day.
Stuff like that is unfortunately very common around here, it's like the wild west of poorly tied down loads, overloads and drivers without a CDL. Most contractors think one ratchet strap over any part of a skid steer or mini excavator is appropriate. Some of the bigger guys aren't much better, just last week I saw a log skidder being hauled with only one chain and binder on it, wasn't even tight. A d4-d6 may get two chains/binders, blade not angled 10' wide with no flagging. Local law enforcement and state police don't seem to know or care, only seen a DOT officer around here twice in the past 10yrs.

Welder Dave

I was driving behind a 3/4 ton truck pulling a tandem dually gooseneck trailer yesterday. There was a Cat 262B (I think) skid steer on the front of the trailer and a bigger Kubota skid steer on the back. What really stood out though was the Kubota had a snow pusher on it that extended out both sides of the trailer at least a foot. Clearly over width and no signs, flags or anything else to warn other drivers. Idiots like that, that are over weight (on the truck) and over width should get ticketed.

Truck Shop

Dirt cops don't force me to chain stuff down right. I don't want it to move.
That's you I would expect that from you.
For the amount of threads on HEF about CDL's, Overloading, Maximum loading, GVW's, GVWR's,
DOT numbers, Farm license, Permits --and the 5,000 total replies or more, arguments, closed threads
which I read a old closed thread today about everything listed above. And it never fails damn near
every month something is posted about everything above.------And it starts all over again.

Welder Dave

It's the same on the Welding Web. You get tired of telling how to do something over and over. I don't know why when a thread is closed because it went off the rails, and someone reopens it, it isn't shut down right away. It's just opening a can of worms.