• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Since TS did not answer yet, I will take a stab: The ABS will have distributed the flat spots around the tires, and the brakes should be able to handle a single heavy stop like this pretty well, in fact the brakes did not see quite as much heat in this stop because a lot of the friction was between the road and tire rather than the pads and drums/rotors.

Still I would be finding a wide spot and look things over real close.

We have all had to jam the brakes from highway speed to a stop more than once but maybe not quite that dramatic.

Truck Shop

Hats off to the guy in the truck . . .
Only did what had to be done at the moment, what saved the situation the driver of truck was alert and started braking as soon as the a$$ wipe in rolling sh!t house started to move. Every inch counted here.
Are the brakes and tires scrap after an event like this?
Brakes are ok-but tires will have a good 4 inch long 9 inch wide flat patch, shake like no tomorrow.
To make that kind of smoke the brake system saw a full 70 psi application, but to stop in the
distance he did it was not fully loaded either.
Now for the possible entertainment that could have taken place. {Just what do you folks think
would have happened if the hammer was actually a Dodge, Ford or GMC 4500 with a 35'
gooseneck with electric brakes loaded to 45,000}. There would have been takagutchis, toro-dingos
and sukiaki's laying on the road or on top of a car. All great fun.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Only did what had to be done at the moment, what saved the situation the driver of truck was alert and started braking as soon as the a$$ wipe in rolling sh!t house started to move. Every inch counted here.

Brakes are ok-but tires will have a good 4 inch long 9 inch wide flat patch, shake like no tomorrow.
To make that kind of smoke the brake system saw a full 70 psi application, but to stop in the
distance he did it was not fully loaded either.
Now for the possible entertainment that could have taken place. {Just what do you folks think
would have happened if the hammer was actually a Dodge, Ford or GMC 4500 with a 35'
gooseneck with electric brakes loaded to 45,000}. There would have been takagutchis, toro-dingos
and sukiaki's laying on the road or on top of a car. All great fun.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My son's buddy asked to use my garage to rebuild a 1985 triaxle equipment trailer. He progressed well for a time, then project stalled. I wanted my garage back, so I offered to finish the project with the understanding it'd be half mine. Within a week after completion, his neighbor wanted to borrow it. He made a 1200 mile round trip, empty half the miles, lightly loaded with shrubs return trip. Made the whole trip with electric brake control turned all the way up. New tires were octagon after 1 trip.
6 new tires later, I said I'd store it here & no more loaning it to idiots.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Only did what had to be done at the moment,

I was more noticing what he didn't do; a lot of guys in a situation like that seem to start getting all excited with the steering wheel, and wind up jacked up in the bushes when they could have saved it if they understood their vehicle.

cfherrman

My son's buddy asked to use my garage to rebuild a 1985 triaxle equipment trailer. He progressed well for a time, then project stalled. I wanted my garage back, so I offered to finish the project with the understanding it'd be half mine. Within a week after completion, his neighbor wanted to borrow it. He made a 1200 mile round trip, empty half the miles, lightly loaded with shrubs return trip. Made the whole trip with electric brake control turned all the way up. New tires were octagon after 1 trip.
6 new tires later, I said I'd store it here & no more loaning it to idiots.

People are way to reliant on brakes and not using that tow/haul engine braking

Truck Shop

I was more noticing what he didn't do; a lot of guys in a situation like that seem to start getting all excited with the steering wheel, and wind up jacked up in the bushes when they could have saved it if they understood their vehicle.
He didn't have time to overthink it, stay straight with full application, I seriously doubt he is
a great driver-just got lucky is all, by just standing on the pedal it made him look like a hero.