• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

doug dirt

That 7 axle truck can net just under 24 tons in Washington State.
Most of the big asphalt companies are going to Super 18's for asphalting.
Netting around 25 tons on a super 18.

Truck Shop

2024 KENWORTH w900l​

$313,701
Listed a day ago in Rogers, AR
2024 is also the last year for the W900L, no more. But one thing that really stands out, that W900L
at 320" WB with the supers on the steer has just possibly the worst turning radius of any truck built
in todays market or years before. If the reason behind these Super DUMPs with all the training wheels
is ability to get around in tight spots/traffic-------------THAT W900 was/is the most ill spec'd pile
out there. I would imagen if any smart prospective buyer took that over the top turd on a test drive
after the first turn at a intersection-----------no thanks-I'll look else where.
I know this is a slight exaggeration, but a air craft carrier has a better turning radius.

Last edited:

crane operator

2024 is also the last year for the W900L, no more. But one thing that really stands out, that W900L
at 320" WB with the supers on the steer has just possibly the worst turning radius of any truck built
in todays market or years before. If the reason behind these Super DUMPs with all the training wheels
is ability to get around in tight spots/traffic-------------THAT W900 was/is the most ill spec'd pile
out there. I would imagen if any smart prospective buyer took that over the top turd on a test drive
after the first turn at a intersection-----------no thanks-I'll look else where.
I know this is a slight exaggeration, but an air craft carrier has a better turning radius.
From the pictures, I think those might be 445 steers. Rather than a typical 425. They look wide and are way outside even the fender extensions. It would be a pig off-road also.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Pops, I see more super dumps around here nowadays than truck/transfer or belly dump. Maybe because one truck does it all, can deliver to a job site or do mass hauling from the pit to the yard/whatever. Slade, Foster, North Star all running them, talked to a driver once, said they will even spread out of them. He was using a truck/transfer that day, probably because we were on a real small job site.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
Yer right, they seem the way to go these days and they dont get as spooky as dumping with the end dumps. I knew a couple of the Slade guys, they liked em.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That quad I used to run had a DD13 and a 8LL trans, handled 78000 gross like nothing still got close to 6mpg. Typical Commercial zone loads here on a Quad is 84000gvw around 50-56k load weight.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Appears the Fed is going to adjust axle load weight for the electrics. Finally found the ‘empty weight’ for a Tesla but has a caveat: 27000# with battery but does not include ‘tires or some drive train components’. On JD Powers. Federal Hwy Safety is being requested to adjust 3 axle tractor with two axle trailer max gvw to 91,000+ lbs.

Truck Shop

Federal Hwy Safety is being requested to adjust 3 axle tractor with two axle trailer max gvw to 91,000+ lbs.
And that is stupid, the roads are torn up enough as it is-so lets speed that up. At 91,000 there isn't
enough braking surface with only 4 axles, the steer brakes are only 40% of a drive. The stopping
distance is severely hampered with another 11,000/5.5 ton. So to properly allow that-the speed limit
for trucks should be reduced across the board 5 mph. More weight with same specifications for brakes
and tires should=less road speed. The other requirement every tire has to be 16 ply no 14 ply allowed.
There are scads of companies running 14 ply, even on steer.

Truck Shop

These people don't care about lives, all they want is EVs
It's all very simple, commercial EV will equal less payload staying with currant load restrictions.
So that means build a lighter truck, no sleeper, single cab, cab heater only no A/C, stripped of
all creature comforts, only the absolute necessity's. Same as it was 40 plus years ago, people
like the idea of going back to the 50's-a simpler life, this a good place to start.

ianjoub

It's all very simple, commercial EV will equal less payload staying with currant load restrictions.
So that means build a lighter truck, no sleeper, single cab, cab heater only no A/C, stripped of
all creature comforts, only the absolute necessity's. Same as it was 40 plus years ago, people
like the idea of going back to the 50's-a simpler life, this a good place to start.
One can't find a competent operator as it is. You want to ditch a/c and other creature comforts?

Truck Shop

One can't find a competent operator as it is. You want to ditch a/c and other creature comforts?
In my post it doesn't say I want to, and who created the problem with competent workers--
The System. Americans would like to go back in time to simpler days-great. No cherry picking,
take everything that goes with it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That 7 axle truck can net just under 24 tons in Washington State.
Most of the big asphalt companies are going to Super 18's for asphalting.
Netting around 25 tons on a super 18.

Tri-axle dumps here (tandem, lift and steer) can gross 25 tons legally on non-Interstate highways.

skyking1

I see the strong arm super solo trucks around here hauling asphalt and not much else. They do turn like pigs.
Dirt shows are usually 8 axle dump and pups with 105,5 tonnage, or belly dump trains.
Deliveries are most often 8 axle T-truck combos.