• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
As far as I can see online, there's no weight restriction on what you can tow with a regular class 5 license in Alberta. Looks like BC requires an endorsement to pull a trailer over 4,600 kg.

Still better than having to learn how to drive a tractor trailer in order to get a CDL to tow a 10,001 lb trailer :confused:

suladas

As far as I can see online, there's no weight restriction on what you can tow with a regular class 5 license in Alberta. Looks like BC requires an endorsement to pull a trailer over 4,600 kg.

Still better than having to learn how to drive a tractor trailer in order to get a CDL to tow a 10,001 lb trailer :confused:

Yea while our licensing system is far from perfect here, i'll take it over the CDL nonsense.

Big part I don't agree with is air brakes on a trailer being the deciding factor in a class 1, IMO it should be by weight. You can have someone only at 30,000kg needing a class 1 and someone at like 55000kg on a class 3 because the trailer has electric brakes.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Yea while our licensing system is far from perfect here, i'll take it over the CDL nonsense.

Big part I don't agree with is air brakes on a trailer being the deciding factor in a class 1, IMO it should be by weight. You can have someone only at 30,000kg needing a class 1 and someone at like 55000kg on a class 3 because the trailer has electric brakes.
The one that gets me is, the way I read the rules (I might be completely wrong though), you could have two straight trucks that are identical except for one being tandem and the other a single drive axle. The single axle could be driven with a class 5, the tandem needs a class 3. Assuming you have a Q endorsement for air brakes of course.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Down south here in USA I believe states adopt their laws based on federal guidelines. States can have slight variations. VT where I live Class A is any combination of truck & trailer over 26000LBS, or trailer over 10,000 LBS GVWR. Elsewhere, there is an exception if over 10,000LB GVWR trailer, but combined weight not over 26000. You then have endorsements if hazardous cargo, trailer, & fifth wheel.
An air brake truck needs air brake endorsement if over 26000, not under 26000LB rated.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Down south here in USA I believe states adopt their laws based on federal guidelines. States can have slight variations. VT where I live Class A is any combination of truck & trailer over 26000LBS, or trailer over 10,000 LBS GVWR. Elsewhere, there is an exception if over 10,000LB GVWR trailer, but combined weight not over 26000. You then have endorsements if hazardous cargo, trailer, & fifth wheel.
An air brake truck needs air brake endorsement if over 26000, not under 26000LB rated.

Those do follow Fed DOT regs.

suladas

The one that gets me is, the way I read the rules (I might be completely wrong though), you could have two straight trucks that are identical except for one being tandem and the other a single drive axle. The single axle could be driven with a class 5, the tandem needs a class 3. Assuming you have a Q endorsement for air brakes of course.

Yep very stupid. Also if you register the single axle under 11790kg it doesn't need a CVIP, whereas mandatory on a tandem no matter what.

Or the guys with the massive motorhomes and trailer only needing class 5 with air ticket.

suladas

Not here, you need air brake endorsement if the truck has air brakes, the weight does not matter at all.

cfherrman

There's a bunch of restrictions on CDL now, it's not like it was 10 years ago.

You can take a pickup and trailer there and get a class a, restrictions will be automatic only and tractor trailer restriction. Had a customer awhile back get pulled over pulling a backhoe awhile back, got a ticket for no CDL, was a dually 1 ton and a dually trailer. The guy said they pull those over more than semis due to inexperienced drivers.

I missed the boat to easily go from class a several times and now I'm stuck with class time to get it.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Yep very stupid. Also if you register the single axle under 11790kg it doesn't need a CVIP, whereas mandatory on a tandem no matter what.

Or the guys with the massive motorhomes and trailer only needing class 5 with air ticket.
Most places I've been at operated under a Federal Safety Fitness Certificate. Under federal rules we had to run logbooks to drive a SRW 3500HD Chevy pickup since the GVW was over 4,500 kg! Plus they needed an annual CVI.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 14k trailer I can not tow legally without a CDL in my F350. However, I can hook it up to my 2003 nissan pathfinder and have no legal issues. :rolleyes:
No, but a 14,000 rated trailer towed by a 11,999 LB rated pickup is not required CDL. Anything with published manufacturer's tow rating is subject to limits of tow rating.

John Griffin

Willie B,

Are you sure about the 10,001 lb trailer and up requiring a cdl in VT? I looked at the cdl manual for the flow chart as i was curious. It looks to me like it's only a class a requirement if the gcwr is 26001 or higher and the trailer is 10,001 or higher.

Screenshot_20230108-204500.png

cfherrman

For business's, if you have a truck 10,001 it requires logging the truck, unless you have exceptions like the 100 mi home base rule, if you have a heavy trailer, unsure of the weight but I think it's 10,001+, it requires logging as well.

Most diesel duallys will be over with a 14k trailer irc for cdl