• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I did 2 mobile homes a bit ago I was tempted to sort out the metal but decided not to, just not worth it. My guess was between the axles and frames it was maybe 5000lbs of steel for both. $200 in disposal fees to get rid of it, but no extra bins, or pay an extra $400 for 2 more bins and anything over $200 would be extra profit.

I usually sort the steel on the trailer houses, its typically about 2,000lb-ish, if steel prices are up, as they have been lately, its good for a couple hundred bucks. The demo site where I send my demo doesn't really like the big steel, they just have to sort it, so it keeps them happy. I really only scrap it because it's easy. It takes me 10 minutes to clean the whole frame with the machine, and another 10 or 15 to chunk it into 12-14' sections with the demo saw, throw it in the dump truck, load the excavator, and go home.

gwhammy

250 for frame axles water heaters and anything I can pull out with the excavator. I figure it's 125 hour to set in my truck and haul it. The owner isn't out the 100 bucks in dumpster weight. I tend to pull anything metal and any copper I can pull out with the thumb and bucket. If it's not much I just haul it home and throw it in the scrap pile for a rainy day. Poor people have poor ways you know!

hosspuller

I too thought it a joke... as the trailer was blocked underside... But the tongue is bent, and the tires are squashed to the rim. I wonder if the strap across the blade counts as load securement ? Sheesh !!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I don't know about you, everyone is looking at the trailer which is toast of course that blatantly is obvious but, notice the windows on the cab are busted out or missing including the door. Like to know the backstory on how that happened, that took talent I don't even have, must of flipped the dozer at some point.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know about you, everyone is looking at the trailer which is toast of course that blatantly is obvious but, notice the windows on the cab are busted out or missing including the door. Like to know the backstory on how that happened, that took talent I don't even have, must of flipped the dozer at some point.
Yeah, & grousers are very worn & tracks are TIGHT. There are people able to break cannon balls, I've dealt with dozens of them.

Old Doug

250 for frame axles water heaters and anything I can pull out with the excavator. I figure it's 125 hour to set in my truck and haul it. The owner isn't out the 100 bucks in dumpster weight. I tend to pull anything metal and any copper I can pull out with the thumb and bucket. If it's not much I just haul it home and throw it in the scrap pile for a rainy day. Poor people have poor ways you know!
I hate to see anything go to the landfill that dosent have to as far as steel gos. If i had more time i would look into oil filters you could get alot of them for free that are going to the land fill but i think you would need to crush them. I saw a deal about a place that recycled them it was probably a million dollar setup.

Mike_27

I too thought it a joke... as the trailer was blocked underside... But the tongue is bent, and the tires are squashed to the rim. I wonder if the strap across the blade counts as load securement ? Sheesh !!
what blocking? it is currently hooked to that bucket truck.

Truck Shop

I don't know about you, everyone is looking at the trailer which is toast of course that blatantly is obvious but

The only thing missing is new diesel pickup being loaded with five yards of gravel pulling it
to make a complete ad. With the driver eating a bowel of Campbells {Man Handler Soup}
on the side.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Is it a D4 size? Is there a D5? 20,000 LB? on a trailer with two 3500 LB axles. 90% of the weight forward of the centerline of the axles. 15000 LB tongue weight? Ain't many trucks built for that.

Old Doug

The quarry is close to the highway into town i see alot of single axles trucks that are loaded full . There is one truck that has a big cab protecter that covers the hole cab it always has a big pile on top of it if i ever meet the driver i am going to ask if he has the passenger side floor full of rock to.

skyking1

I filled in for a guy at an asphalt plant for a couple of weeks, and got pretty good at loading single axles. I'd load them and the driver would say it would hold more. I'd tell him that's 32K and sure enough, that is what he had. At least back then, I was just as responsible as the driver for overload.
That plant had a bunch of single axle small paver business.