• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

that was an impressive bit of driving, all your guy could do is what he did and clearly it was slicker than snot out there. It might have ABS and steering control features but those can be defeated a bit by ham-handed driving.

suladas

Not true guys-I've worked this business plus towing for years. There is no strength in a fiberglass hood or
aluminum or steel hood. When there's 50 tons of momentum the damage is the same. I cleaned up a
wreck in the late 80's of a 74 4300 International that hit 7 elk on I-90 Easton. Completely ripped the
steer axle, fuel tanks, radiator and hood off. One went through the windshield and half of it ended up
in the sleeper. Driver survived.

What would help is people drive for road conditions.

Yea the hoods would still fold up. But there isn't 10's of thousands of BS to break in the front end on them though. Also bet the frames are way lighter.

That can't be a very good moose bumper if a half ton folded it up and it writes off the truck, a moose would do a lot more damage and they are suppose to be drivable after hitting one. What's the point of having one if that minor of wreck writes off the truck anyway?

Shimmy1

Yea the hoods would still fold up. But there isn't 10's of thousands of BS to break in the front end on them though. Also bet the frames are way lighter.

That can't be a very good moose bumper if a half ton folded it up and it writes off the truck, a moose would do a lot more damage and they are suppose to be drivable after hitting one. What's the point of having one if that minor of wreck writes off the truck anyway?
I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things, but a full-size pickup coming into the truck like that might possibly total most trucks. We have Ali-Arc bumpers on most of our trucks, and a crash like that would have messed up our 9400 pretty good I think, especially if it was loaded to 100k. Not much to give other than the iron.

suladas

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things, but a full-size pickup coming into the truck like that might possibly total most trucks. We have Ali-Arc bumpers on most of our trucks, and a crash like that would have messed up our 9400 pretty good I think, especially if it was loaded to 100k. Not much to give other than the iron.

That's true but only the pickup had much speed, I could see if impact of semi was like 40 mph, but it was like 20 mph? That's not very fast and those pickups are nothing but plastic and fiberglass they fold up like nothing. But then again seeing all those aluminum bumpers and how light they are I don't think any would survive even a deer at much speed.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Problem with some "older" stuff that got hit was they'd keep running it after a smack too thinking eh it's american steel it can take it all the whole the frame is tweaked somewhere, cracked lol.

Pony

It would be interesting to see how one of our Australian style bullbars would have gone.
I think with the forces involved, if the bullbar did minimise damage to the truck, it would probably cause subsequently more damage to the pick-up.

Truck Shop

The bumpers installed on OTR trucks are not meant for stopping damage from vehicle accidents {animals only}.
To me they just add weight and are ugly plus another thing to deal with. And in some cases drivers won't or
don't raise the hood to check fluids because they don't want to deal with it especially on a slick parking lot.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
It would be interesting to see how one of our Australian style bullbars would have gone.
I think with the forces involved, if the bullbar did minimise damage to the truck, it would probably cause subsequently more damage to the pick-up.
Problem with all these fancy bars and whatnot you won't feel it hitting a moose on the kinetic energy but hitting a 5000 lb object at any speed the kinetic energy the bullbar or any bars don't absorb has to be transferred somewhere. So now where the front of the vehicle was supposed to absorb the kinetic energy as why all vehicles crumple, the bar just transfers it somewhere else i.e. the driver.
Rather have a vehicle crumple like an accordion than turn my insides into jello from kinetic energy or get sever whiplash to my spine somewhere.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Exactly, I have a couple customers with heavy ass pipe bumpers on vocational trucks, I just know If they ever have a wreck of any decent energy that the frame is smoked.

Shimmy1

Exactly, I have a couple customers with heavy ass pipe bumpers on vocational trucks, I just know If they ever have a wreck of any decent energy that the frame is smoked.
Don't disagree, but the reason we have the big bumpers is these trucks used to run through Yellowstone on the way out to Idaho or Utah. We installed them because $3000 seems a whole lot better than the thought of driving another truck from ND to hitch the wagon back up to, and whatever the tow bill would be to get it the 600+ miles home.

I've hit deer at 65, the guy I work with ran over 5 at one time. Little blood on the bumper until the next wash was the only evidence. Either time we'd have been dead on the shoulder.