• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Outrigger leg repair: broken safety pin holes

ichudov

The outrigger legs on my crane, unfortunately, have holes for the safety pin ripped up, probably due to jack seals leaking at some point. The attached pictures show damage.

I believe that outrigger jack seals are now in decent condition, probably replaced some time ago, however, I wanted to replace them as a safety precaution.

While I have outrigger legs out, I also want to repair the damage to the holes for the safety pin.

My plan was as follows:

1) Take the outrigger jack cylinder out
2) Machine a steel plate with holes, a bit thicker than the original outrigger leg. I can do that with my CNC milling machine.
3) Cut out a rectangular cutout the size of the above plate
4) Weld the new plate in

Do you think that there is any problem or safety concern with the above procedure?

The replacement outrigger legs from Grove are $2,200 each.

Attachments

• leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 358
  • leg1.jpg
    leg1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 364

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
If cost was no object you could have an P. eng. design a repair then have a mag particle test done on it. It sounds like your a competent welder / manufacturer " witch I'm not" you could do the repair and have it tested its not terribly expensive then you know for sure there are no cracks or voids in your welds.

ichudov

Well, cost IS an object, otherwise I would just buy new legs, at the price of what the whole crane cost me.

I do have a competent weldor, and a very good MIG welder setup.

My main question is, is the safety pin use even required, since they do not seem to be using lock pins in modern cranes?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I wonder how many times the crane driver (certainly was not an operator) had to attempt to force that outrigger up and down with the pin half in to tear it up thru that many holes? I can hear the thought process, " it moves a little more each time so I will keep trying".

td25c

My thoughts as well old-iron . Also have to watch about workers laying tools on top of the outrigger beam before pulling them in .

I think you are on the rite path repairing the box leg ichudov .

You don't have to use the safety pins as the cylinders have the load check valves on them . I use them most of the time being Grove went to the effort installing them .

ichudov

td25c, would it be worthwhile to replace the check valves while I do the outrigger jack seals?

With the seals and valves changed, then, perhaps I should not bother repairing the safety pin holes.

td25c

That would be a good idea to replace the check valve . I did not on my unit but that's where our machines are a little different in design . My check valve bolts to the side of the cylinder base and sticks out the side of the housing at the top . Easy to get to any time .

I believe on your R/T 60 it's all enclosed . Looks like you would have to pull the cylinder to replace the check valve unless I'm missing something . Like the R/T 59 , valve threads in the side of the cylinder base ?

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...es-NOT-go-down&p=598571&viewfull=1#post598571

Myself would still go ahead and repair the box tube while I had it all apart .

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would repair them also. Belts and suspenders. If you are ever on a job and OSHA showed up and seen them damaged it would be hard to explain why they are on the machine if not needed. I think your repair plan is a good one. The new plate is locked in and should be invisable unless you really study it close.

ichudov

old-iron, thanks. I will replace seals, holding valves, and will repair the outriggers too. A few dabs of black grease and the repair will not be visible. I am sure that I can make it stronger than the original, and I do not believe that I will have to use the pins for operation.

In general, when I leave the crane overnight, I lower it on outriggers so that the tires touch the ground and most of the weight is on the tires.

I also retract and center the boom.

shipman

Yes I tend to put the pins in, but the crane sits on a concrete slab next the water to lift boats in and out and stays set up with no need to move it. Most of the other work it does is on rubber. Once in a while we set up on the outriggers in the yard elsewhere and I admit I don't always put the pins in. Gerry