• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Outrageous Charges ForCase OEM Parts !

Tinkerer

$30.34 plus tax for ONE replacement engine head bolt plus tax. It wasn't even an overnight delivery. It is a wonder the dealership parts men don't have to wear full body armor when they tell a person what they have to pay for parts these days.

jmtrackworks

Occupation
Owner/Operater; Martins Track Works
I agree completely. I deal with cat and deere and it is the same with them. At times I get so nerves while I'm on my equipment if I hear or feel something a little different. I know if something goes wrong, no matter what it is, it will not be cheap! However, I've been in this business lone enough to know that's part of being in this line of work.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Case

No doubt needed two push rods for a 580 ...40 somethin dollars each by the time they landed in my hands total bill 110 dollars ..

Kubota is also way out of line on there parts ..

Lee-online

You got to pay to play.

One of the reasons why parts are expensive is due to the availability. Most parts are stocked in many warehouses across the world and will be at a dealer the next day. Some parts may sit on shelves for decades. This costs money so it is marked up in to the price of parts.

El Hombre

Lee, parts sitting on the shelf is part of it, mostly it's the best profit center the dealer has. The dealer isn't selling much new stuff, bad economy and all. So parts and service have been the things that keep the dealer open. We don't have much choice when it's a dealer only part, you pay what they want, or you don't fix your tractor.

This isn't only heavy equipment, car and truck dealers have been doing the same thing for the last 25 years. When the Japanese started building assembly plants here in the mid 80's, they left the home plants open and building. So they created a glut of vehicles in the US. The dealers had to cut their profit margin to move all that iron, so the parts and service costs went up to keep the dealer in the black.

A Toyota rep told me 20 years ago about 'units in service'. This is what Toyota told the dealers; sell lots of cars and trucks, what you lose on new car profit you'll make up on parts and service.

Now everybody does it....

turbotech

The first thing I learned about fixing my own junk was that OEM gets thier parts from somewhere. You need to find the somewhere. Either pay or use time to out smart them.
I looked up the 1/2-13 bolts and studs before and found that ARP had them for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. They are 190,000 PSI strength bolts. Ouch, the ARP 4.0 inch bolts are $6 a piece, and the studs are $11. That is a 5x or 3x mark up for what? Sitting on a shelf? If so, then why are the ARP bolts so cheap?

Ebay has Case new pushrods for about $10/a piece.

EDIT: What Case engine were your looking for the head bolt, or what was the OEM part number?

Last edited:

nilzlofgren

I order all my OEM parts from a Case dealer in Kansas. They are usually half the price of my local Case dealer. and, I get the parts in a couple of days.

Iron@Dirt

I repair a few case ag tractors, pick up parts for customer (dont make anything on parts so I just charge to them) its hard to believe how much parts have gone up. Its only gunna get much worse. Dealer labor is close to 100/hr. Some local farmers have joined an asociation and buy OEM parts, usually at big discount.

ScottAR

I guess it boils down to the dealer. My local power tan dealer competes pretty well with online houses although I don't know if that's their intent.
Picked up a tie rod end for my 580d a few days ago. aftermarket is $25.00ish and the dealer was $30.00ish and they had four on the shelf. Close enuff.
They also don't charge freight if you make the order with their stock order which is great since I'm not usually in a hurry.

Jenni

Occupation
Farmer
Hi guys, I live in Iceland and i have Case 580G 1986 and the Flex plate for the converter broke in many parts, the plate is wery symple peace and the case dealer hear want 450$ for it, i am djust gona make the plate my self.

Here is a pic of the plate.

CIMG8480.jpg

Ps sorry my english i am okay talking but bat in writing :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum jenni. :usa

I've never hand made a flex plate before as they are tempered steel. I don't know how well it would work if someone simply used a mild steel plate. But if you're in a pinch, I suppose you have nothing to lose.

You might try contacting these folks, their price may be a little better than OEM.

http://www.joseph.com/

Jenni

Occupation
Farmer
Thanks ATCOEQUIP, i dont think its gona be any trouble making new flex plate, and i am thinking of steel 52 or hardox 500 in the new plate.

Tinkerer

Jenni, Here is a link to a recent thread about flex plates. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?23131-Torque-Converter-Flex-Plate-Question
My replacement was an aftermarket brand and cost $38.00. Be carefull of the gauge steel you use. My Case factory repair manual is very specific about how to determine the distance from the bell housing face to the end of the torque converter shaft after it is bolted to the flywheel. That distance is altered by using shims between the flex plate and the flywheel. The reason for that is the torque converter cannot be in too far and bind on the transmission shaft. If it is allowed to go into a bind situation I would think a disaster is waiting to happen. The flex plate function would be defeated and a severe strain would probably be exerted on the entire assembly.

Bejennar

Hi. I noticed you were talking about buying parts from the OEM as well as other suppliers. I need some track bolts and was wondering where it's best to get them from? What are the pros and cons of buying from OEM? I'm new to the industry so not even sure about cost or quality. Thanks, any help would be very much appreciated.

Tinkerer

Hi. I noticed you were talking about buying parts from the OEM as well as other suppliers. I need some track bolts and was wondering where it's best to get them from? What are the pros and cons of buying from OEM? I'm new to the industry so not even sure about cost or quality. Thanks, any help would be very much appreciated.
Unfortunately you cannot post this same question in other forum categories. But you would most likely get more help in the dozer , track loaders or excavator forums. Shop Talk would also be a good place to pose the question. Sorry, but I have no experience in regards to purchasing track parts.

jimdouglas

I always order my undercarriage parts from national tracks they offer discount prices but they are quality products, same day shipping and most of their products have warranty. they have warehouses around the states and Canada so they deliver on time. they also have very good rubber tracks

Bejennar

Hi Jim, once you've ordered to part do you put it on yourself or take to a servicer? Is this for your own equipment or a company you work for? Thanks!

Helper81

Occupation
Rentals, Parts, Sales
For the 6 pieces of Case machinery that we have in the fleet that I manage here, I have found a good local place to beat the dealers prices and it is worth waiting an extra day or two on the part to arrive, but if one is in a hurry the dealer is the place to go if you can afford it.