• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Out with the old....

michael james

Occupation
36 years working for a council, last 12 as a grade
Out with the old beast,,,and in with the new,
Hi guys, haven't been on HEF for awhile, been waiting patiently for my work to replace my tired old beast. After juggling (polite term) finances for the last four years, it has finally happened,

Attachments

• DSCF4927.jpg
    DSCF4927.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCF4944.jpg
    DSCF4944.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF4934.jpg
    DSCF4934.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF4949.jpg
    DSCF4949.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCF4935.jpg
    DSCF4935.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 421

michael james

Occupation
more pics

Attachments

• DSCF4938.jpg
    DSCF4938.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF4951.jpg
    DSCF4951.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF4953.jpg
    DSCF4953.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 406

20/80

Occupation
operator
more pics
Congratulations! that's one fine looking grader, you must be very pleased, we don't see many Komatsu graders in my neck of the woods but there is a few around, mostly Cat, DEERE, Champion Volvo, was there many hours on the old girl? like your pictures thanks

michael james

Occupation
Thankyou 20/80, l am very pleased with this machine, its comfortable, practical, and the vision to the moldboard, the sides and to the back of the grader is great, l chose the 14 ft moldboard over the 12 ft that our council have always used, so much more practical and time saving, and the engine has plenty of grunt, good torque as well, we did a demo of other brands as well, all great machines, but the komatsu seemed to be the machined that l felt most comfortable with. The old girl clocked up 16,000 hours and we had it for 14 years, not a bad effort but it was getting a bit sluggish, cheers.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Fantastic looking machine, what are the pylons for, prevent someone from running into the machine when its parked?

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Fantastic looking machine, what are the pylons for, prevent someone from running into the machine when its parked?

They're for the texting drivers that can't see a rather large yellow object!! Hopefully they'll hear it when they run over a cone.
Mike

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
They're for the texting drivers that can't see a rather large yellow object!! Hopefully they'll hear it when they run over a cone.
Mike

One day a local farmer asked me why I didn't use my roof beacon when grading country roads. I said if they can't see the 30ft long, 10ft high, 8ft wide, large yellow grader in the road they certainly can't see the beacon....... :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Congrats on a great looking machine. Thank you very much for the pics. I know very little about the Komatsu line. What is the HP and weight of the bare machine?? Trying to get a comparison to CAT or Deere. Thanks!!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
One day a local farmer asked me why I didn't use my roof beacon when grading country roads. I said if they can't see the 30ft long, 10ft high, 8ft wide, large yellow grader in the road they certainly can't see the beacon....... :)

I bet there's some regulation on that, we bought a 644E loader from the upper midwest, 44,000 pounds and it has a strobe light on the back, maybe a couple inches high and a couple inches around but I'm willing to bet it filled in some check box on a form.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I bet there's some regulation on that, we bought a 644E loader from the upper midwest, 44,000 pounds and it has a strobe light on the back, maybe a couple inches high and a couple inches around but I'm willing to bet it filled in some check box on a form.

Oh trust me,,,,, if a cell phone texting idiot ran into me, before I got out of the cab I would flip on the light...... :)

michael james

Occupation
Thanks for sharing this photos, looks interesting with the roller :) Is the roller from Broons?

Hello Graderfan1981, you are correct, the roller is from Broons, a company from south australia, its a new model with the ability to allow you to use your scarifiers without the hassle of taking the roller off, it appears to be a good design and quiet robust. The rep flew over from s.a the other week to see how it was going and asked for feedback, took some photos and went again, alot of people in victoria haven't heard of them but they are involved in alot of compaction projects overseas and pour alot of funds into research.

michael james

Occupation

Hello fast_st, thanks, l use the pylons for guides markers on the road when l get gravel delivered to help the drivers with the spread rates that we use from time to time.

michael james

Occupation
Congrats on a great looking machine. Thank you very much for the pics. I know very little about the Komatsu line. What is the HP and weight of the bare machine?? Trying to get a comparison to CAT or Deere. Thanks!!

Hi ovrszd, thanks, here is some info for interest sake, the gross HP is 196 @ 2,000 revs, 880NM torque at 1,400 revs, the weight is 18,400 kg with ripper assembly and 17.5 wheels and 14 foot moldboard, not sure what the weight of the ripper assembly is, approx weight on rear of grader is 12.7 tonnes and front is 5.4 tonnes, not including roller, front of machine is very stable when doing heavy cutting or loading moldboard up and having the rear roller down just contacting ground helps with front end stability, (a fine line between losing front end or breaking traction sometimes), and the machine scoots along at 52 km/h in top gear. cheers.