• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Out for another tire stripping experience:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'm up to the lucky number 13 of Tire explosions on this trailer! Not a single of the tires that have been rotated through on this trailer have made tread depth wear before exploding. All have been 10 ply China bombs. I don't think any of them making 7,500 Mi before exploding.

I've consistently tried to tell them they need to purchase name brand tires which falls on deaf ears.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Upgrading to 17.5"s would fix that. 17.5" tires are a far stronger tire, even with cheap tires. I have run out quite a few tires on three different trailers without any blowouts.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yea 17.5's are the perfect solution. The next lower step is using the 235 80 16's in 14 ply. I had ordered a Diamond C with 17.5's during Covid. It was going to be a year before I would get it, so I bought one with the 10 ply 16's tread looked just like those on this pic. I took it immediately to the tire shop and had them put 14 plys on it. Much better tire, especially for the money.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I believe you can upgrade a trailer with 16's to 17.5's, replacing all the wheels. Gets expensive though . . .

1693TA

Occupation
I sent the owners links for four different brands of 14 ply tires and a link for four pre built replacement brake assemblies. I've been telling them about a year brakes were getting thin but I can now hear metal on metal with the brakes applied.

I'm thinking there is going to be a lesson in not listening to operator complaints. Brake drums for Dexter axles are not any shade of cheap.

1693TA

Occupation
The price of "balking" is going to get expensive. Brake drums, along with all brake parts need replaced. Tires are to be addressed also but the jury is still out on that one.

1693TA

Occupation
At some point you need to park it for safety on the brakes. This is hard on dispatchability.
It's in the repair shop now and they have proven what I suspected. Parts are ordered but I have no ETA on an RTS time frame.

It's about this time when operating with known deficiencies the DOT cops tend to find you.....

I'm not going to be "That Guy".

skyking1

I had a clapped out Miller that did 17.5 tires like that. I found a suitable replacement with 22.5 rubber. Bigger rubber is night and day.
That trailer had the independent walking beam and the shops could not keep it on straight and good bearings in it. It was always dragging.

1693TA

Occupation
Was just talking to parts supplier yesterday about converting from old 10.00X15 rubber to 22.5 rubber and I need to get a spoke number to move along with to see if viable on a trailer I'm going to look at.

Most of the lowboy trailers I've been around or repaired have 255/70R22.5 rubber.

skyking1

Just the empty trailer braking difference is great, at least it was for me. That Miller was a smokeshow and the Freeway trailer, I can feel it yard back on me quite a bit before it breaks traction.

1693TA

Occupation
I only had the hydraulic tail trailer with 22.5 rubber. Both others had 8.25X15LPT rubber. As you say the braking difference is noticable.

Only had one Lo Pro rollback truck on 19.5 rubber and didn't keep it too long citing braking performance when loaded.

Welder Dave

I sent the owners links for four different brands of 14 ply tires and a link for four pre built replacement brake assemblies. I've been telling them about a year brakes were getting thin but I can now hear metal on metal with the brakes applied.

I'm thinking there is going to be a lesson in not listening to operator complaints. Brake drums for Dexter axles are not any shade of cheap.
You can get aftermarket brake drums and shoes for Dexter axles. Wouldn't be surprised if Dexter gets the OEM from overseas. Since they're wear items, it's not a big deal. They still use the same bearings.

1693TA

Occupation
You can get aftermarket brake drums and shoes for Dexter axles. Wouldn't be surprised if Dexter gets the OEM from overseas. Since they're wear items, it's not a big deal. They still use the same bearings.
I've used R&P Carriages for trailer parts for a lot of years so sent links directly to them. Hopefully they will patronize the folks as they are a small family supporting themselves with that business. Always good service from them too. Not a pitch but rather fact.

I've never replaced the series of drum on a trailer this one has. They may be the same but seem different to me. Been a long time ago but I had two gooseneck trailers and one had Dexter axles, the other Hayes. I can't remember which one I put brakes on had which brand.

I know this one has self adjusting electric brakes and the links I sent were exact replacement but aftermarket. The shop up the street from the dealership works on trailers a lot so will have everything needed in place. He sold trailers for three years but his repair business has flourished, so ceased selling.

Welder Dave

The shop I know used to make 300 trailers a year. Their trailers were much better built using tubing instead of channel and just heavier duty. The problem was they couldn't charge what they were worth. Some customers would gladly pay the difference for a better trailer but they got tired of trying to compete with cheaper built trailers. Too many people just look at the price. They didn't want to damage their reputation making cheap trailers. They always did rentals and still do but they make more money doing repairs and modifications than they ever did building complete trailers. They do good work and are always busy. The owner was going to throw out a bunch of axles that his shop manager and I convinced him were worth a bunch. They sold at auction and we got about $6500 after commission.

Last edited:

Old Doug

Back years ago 14 ply trailer tires were not very common . I had a lot better luck with LT tires and i run a lot of used tires a used trailer tire wasnt worth even trying. I think for some reason age was worse on a trailer tire compared to a LT.

1693TA

Occupation
I'm most likely going to build myself a trailer to replace a well worn flatbed car hauler from 1986 soon. That trailer, (much like "Krusty") is well worn in and out. Probably model from my skid steer trailer which is constructed from 2X6-3/16" wall tube frame, and 2X6X1/4" wall tube comprising the tongue with "Torflex" Dexter axles. Xmembers are "jr" I beam with this one and it's been good but structurally deficient from rust these days. It was new with my 1845C in 1995, or 1996 and has been given no special care. Hydraulic surge brakes on this trailer that I really don't care for. They are not bad when loaded, but trailer is so heavy it "pushes" the pulling truck when empty under moderate braking and slick conditions.

As you mention it will cost more to build one, but will track straight behind the pulling unit and won't abnormally wear tires as quality can be controlled easily when building for yourself.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I gave up on finding a trailer tire that would last on my work trailer. I bought a set of truck tires and now get twice the life out of them.
I had many of the trailer tires decapitate and come apart like yours. Truck tires won’t do that.

1693TA

Occupation
I gave up on finding a trailer tire that would last on my work trailer. I bought a set of truck tires and now get twice the life out of them.
I had many of the trailer tires decapitate and come apart like yours. Truck tires won’t do that.
This really has been nuts to repeat this scenario this many times. It is however the first time I've thrown it back in their lap to handle.

With no end in sight to this madness, I'm about done with it altogether. I invoice them by the hour so I'm paid regardless, but their way of doing things and mine are gaining disparity so I'm stepping back.