• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Our new hydoelectric turbine arrived today

OldandWorn

Amazing work!! I need to check out your sidebars.

As a general rule, do the power companies welcome the extra power or see you as competitors?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Very nice, was looking at the pictures before I realized it was the old JR mill site, that's awesome, local redevelopment and getting that power station back in operation. I'd love to see it in operation have driven by it thousands of times, glad it survived the 87 floods where the whole dam was threatened.

Last edited:

frenchriverland

Kiser Turbine at Pepperell Paper

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes the plant we are restoring is the former power plant of Pepperell Paper Company. The paper plant is long gone with all the buildings torn down. We have rebuilt all three turbines and generators. We replaced the old slate gear with new gear. Our last big project is to replace the failing wooden penstock with a new steel penstock. We are also getting a federal license for the project.

Sincerely,

Bill Fay

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Bill, I am always in awe of the work you people do and it's not like that it is out in the open, often it is in some deep, pokey, damp hole with hardly any room to move. I wish we had running water here, we could get you to put a water turbine in. Instead we are about to have a 199 turbine wind farm forced upon us, that nobody wants, except 36 host farmers.

RnR.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I remember driving by JR to see that they had an excavator rodeo going, pretty much in a day or two there was only a slab left. You could almost sell scraps of the old penstock for souvineers :) from a nonfunctional standpoint it was pretty in the winter as the spraying water would make interesting frost patterns. Can you say what the total MW output would be? I know at low water times, when they lowered the dam to do some repairs a couple decades ago, the actual water flow was 2 feet wide and it exposed a lot of underwater features.

OldandWorn

What a learning experience this has been. I never knew small plants like this even existed. I have read every caption on your 4 picture pages and still making my way down the sidebar. While I was on Google trying to figure out how these plants are built and learning about the different types of turbines I happened across 4 videos of the Appleton restore. Later, I found mention about this plant on your side links. Did the city end up destroying it? That would be a shame with all of the work he put into that plant.

What did you end up doing with the worn circular bearing surface in the casting under the table of the Niles boring mill? I saw the pics of the restore but maybe missed that part.

robin yates uk

engineering works like these are an absolute greenlight for any young person looking for something different but worthwhile for a future career.A big ten out of ten for all your works, pictures and website.Thank you