• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Our new Forestry excavator builds

NZ Engineer

Plebeian is correct, whilst we use a range of sizes generally between 6-8mm we also use different grades of plate to increase the strength, whilst keeping down the weight. I will see if I can dig out a pic of a bonnet being fabricated

lumberjack

The bonnet protection is along similar
This was a couple of years ago in a heavily wind damaged block we did. A lot of the trees were around 3-4ft through at the butt and around 150ft tall
View attachment 119394

Wouldn't swinging to the left be generally advisable to have the tree coming down on the off side of the cab? I know swinging trees down with an excavator that's the plan, although the method is different.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks for sharing.

I know very little about logging other than the few loggers I have been around on large clearing sites. A typical logger's setup in my area is a a couple of wheel skidders and bunchers, a log loader on a trailer and transport trucks. A dozer here and there to maintain the access roads. The only time I have seen an excavator feller/buncher has been on HWY clearing jobs.

Drifter

What's the hood made of? Everything used here has heavy protection over the cab and they still get beat up. I'm not sure the purity will last long under real logging conditions. You might also want to look at them grease lines to the boom pins. They won't last either.

I am thinking they dont spend all that money to make them look pretty.

NZ Engineer

Hi Paul
We have done builds for the Ewers down here, not sure of the numbers however. To be fair we do have them spread around the country so it could be one of ours you are thinking off... got any pics?
Cheers

NZ Engineer

Good pics thanks Paul - the first one was built here at the Trinder workshop, the second machine is a Welbuilt (Waimea Engineering)

Cheers

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
IMG_1169.JPGIMG_1171.JPGhitachi zaxis 200 with denharco 4100 delimber I operate. those are nice machines you guys build. hitachi is deffantly one of the best machines out there.