• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Our new Forestry excavator builds

NZ Engineer

Thought I would post up a few pics of some of our new builds we have done here...

Sweeny's 290
Sweeny 290 side.jpgSweeny 290.jpg

more 290's
290 cnr post and walkway.jpg290 removable grill.jpg

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Why the ground level cab? With the processor hanging from it I would expect to see a raised cab.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
What's the hood made of? Everything used here has heavy protection over the cab and they still get beat up. I'm not sure the purity will last long under real logging conditions. You might also want to look at them grease lines to the boom pins. They won't last either.

prolog nz

Check out this video it will give you an idea on what this style of head is like to use. The good thing with the floating head is that you can directional fell and bunch as well as successfully shovel log with them. We fell, shovel and bunch wood for the yarder with my satco 630 fitted to a pc270-8 Komatsu we run this machine up to 35 degrees with good results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dEXBt91F-M
How does that head work, I never saw a "floating" head work, you have no control of tree?

lantraxco

I assume it's like a dangle processor, you just cut the stem and at the same time lift slightly and move the butt the opposite direction you want the top to fall?

prolog nz

What's the hood made of? Everything used here has heavy protection over the cab and they still get beat up. I'm not sure the purity will last long under real logging conditions. You might also want to look at them grease lines to the boom pins. They won't last either.

These guarding packages are pretty bulletproof! I have seen big trees go over guarding packages like this and not even leave a dent! They are not a new thing in NZ they have been built in similar style for well over 15 years.

prolog nz

I assume it's like a dangle processor, you just cut the stem and at the same time lift slightly and move the butt the opposite direction you want the top to fall?

Yes, very similar to felling with a processor but nice and light to use as they are similar weight to a grapple.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
These guarding packages are pretty bulletproof! I have seen big trees go over guarding packages like this and not even leave a dent! They are not a new thing in NZ they have been built in similar style for well over 15 years.

Cab guards look great. I'm still curious what the tilt engine cover is made out of that is bulletproof.

NZ Engineer

How does that head work, I never saw a "floating" head work, you have no control of tree?

Just like prolog NZ said... they are really versatile. If you look at this vid you can see the head clearly working on one of our earlier steep slope harvesters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwgrE6afvs

We couldn't find a head strong enough for this application - so built our own, and built it with a retractable saw box for Shovelling (hoe chucking). This unique feature also makes this head very useful in wind-fall or storm damaged forests.

NZ Engineer

These bonnets are purpose built from steel plate and used around the country here in NZ. The factory supplied option is just not an option for real logging conditions

lantraxco

"Real logging conditions" will vary from company to company and country to country. Some owners have discovered that disciplinary action or firing operators that allow damage to their machines will actually save them money. This is of course incomprehensible to the run of the mill caveman/cowboy mentality where "gittin perduction" in spite of safety and maintaining equipment uptime and value is the be all and end all of their world. Construction is basically the same deal, you can tell the difference in the owners mind set with no more than a quick observation of his machines on a job site.

prolog nz

The bonnet protection is along similar lines to the bonnet arrangement on Tigercats and Deere feller bunchers. Machines that get this guarding are usually felling and shovel logging.

And yeah it does vary from country to country most clear cutting in NZ is in 26-28yr old Radiata Pine from 1.5 tonne up to 6 tonne in weight and the limbs tend to to have a heap of weight as well. When felling if you have a tree break and come back at you or a dead head come out of a tree the guarding pays off pretty quickly.

This was a couple of years ago in a heavily wind damaged block we did. A lot of the trees were around 3-4ft through at the butt and around 150ft tall
waratah.jpg

Last edited: