• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OTT Tracks on Cat C Series??

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I am looking for some real world experiences from forum members. I have a Cat 242, which has a wheelbase of 43". This machine is used around the farm, and from time to time finds itself with a set of Prowler over the tire tracks on it. We love them. Climbs like a billy goat, slogs through mud, the extra 500# makes it more stable on hills, etc.

Been scanning the newer Cats, like a 262C so I can get some more lifting capacity. The wheelbase jumps to 48", and 54" on the 272C. When I look at these machines, first question is- can they run OTT tracks? Spoke to the CAT factory guy @ Louisville last week, and of course he tried to sell me Loegering. Nothing against them- except the price...

Has anyone here run OTTs on a long wheelbase machine? Of any brand? How's it work?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I run them on a CASE 465 which is equivelent to a 272. I have Loegering brand tracks. Mine are the Trail Blazer now called F track design. They work very well. You have more power available compared to your 242.

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
3 years back I had a 262C with foam filled tires and over the tire grouser tracks...... made a little tank out of it!

k45

3 years back I had a 262C with foam filled tires and over the tire grouser tracks...... made a little tank out of it!

How do you adjust the track tension with foam filled tires? Normally one takes up the slack by adjusting the tire pressure.

Ken

RTSmith

Occupation
KSS- The F tracks look nice. What Cat was pushing was of course the VTS. Of course, If I was going to buy VTS and run them full time, I think I'd look harder at a CTL rather than a skid.

K45- I can't speak for anyone else, but my Prowler brand, Predator series (yes, I have a hard time keeping that straight) http://www.prowlertracks.com/over-the-tire-track-systems.htm have multiple adjustments to track length at each link. So I run max air, and adjust via the chain settings. At first glance, looks like the Loegering F series have something similar too.

Lance- thanks for the info.

RTSmith

Occupation
KSSS- You said- You have more power available compared to your 242.

Since I seem to always learn from your posts (thanks, by the way!), please explain this to me. Your Case has more power, or tracks give my little 242 more, or ??

LanceNE

Occupation
If I remember correctly....to put on or adjust tension a strap and binder were used. Here is a pic taken a few years back of the setup
mower_resize2.jpg

RTSmith

Occupation
Lance- thanks for the pic. By the way, part of my reasoning for upgrading is I have a 72" mower similar to yours. The 242 is a rated capacity of 2000#, and the 72" mower just whips it a bit. What size is your mower, and how well does your 262C do? I see you have the counterweights, which I am assuming help a lot also.

And yes sir on the installation. By the time I get my OTTs on, I really feel like I have accomplished something. Just about whip a fellow...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
What I meant to say was that the larger machines have more available hp which is helpful because the tracks take some hp to turn. The loss of net hp on a smaller machine like the 242 hurts performance but is not as significant on a 272 sized machine.

The VTS has some value. I just traded a machine in that had VTS for a new CTL. If you are considering the VTS, I would watch Iron Planet. I bought mine new still on the pallet for $5200. New they list for 13-15K. I would never pay that. They go through with enough frequency that it does not pay to buy new. The only big issue with them is they are heavy (about 1500 per side) and it make the machine wider. Smaller machines that dont have a lot of excess hp struggle with them, and you may need to also buy a wider bucket.

ironjunkie

I am looking for some real world experiences from forum members. I have a Cat 242, which has a wheelbase of 43". This machine is used around the farm, and from time to time finds itself with a set of Prowler over the tire tracks on it. We love them. Climbs like a billy goat, slogs through mud, the extra 500# makes it more stable on hills, etc.

Been scanning the newer Cats, like a 262C so I can get some more lifting capacity. The wheelbase jumps to 48", and 54" on the 272C. When I look at these machines, first question is- can they run OTT tracks? Spoke to the CAT factory guy @ Louisville last week, and of course he tried to sell me Loegering. Nothing against them- except the price...

Has anyone here run OTTs on a long wheelbase machine? Of any brand? How's it work?[/QUOTE]

No problems other than breaking a track segment once with a rock falling into the track. (55" wheelbase) on a big Gehl.

LanceNE

Occupation
Weight wise, the 262 didn't have any problems at all handling the mower. If I was running over the track or VTS full time, I would look hard at going to the 272, if you are looking in the Cat line. Ran a 262C with VTS a couple summers ago for about 3 months. It was borderline heating up all the time. Didn't seem like I was losing power, although I'm sure I was, but it was definitely heating the hydraulics up more than a 287 running side by side.
I believe that is a 78" mower. Unfortunately I don't have the 262 any longer. I was one of those that drank the punch when Cat served it, thinking we needed a tracked machine, and I've regretted it ever since.
On a side note, I did like the extra weight that the foam filled tires and steel track added, it helped with stability similar to what VTS would do.

k45

The VTS has some value. I just traded a machine in that had VTS for a new CTL. If you are considering the VTS, I would watch Iron Planet. I bought mine new still on the pallet for $5200. New they list for 13-15K. I would never pay that. They go through with enough frequency that it does not pay to buy new.

If they are so readily available on the used market, it sounds like people are not satisfied with the VTS? Why?

Ken

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am not sure. The dealers were selling a lot of them that went through Iron Planet. Mine came from a CAT dealer. I think they bought a lot of them and some didnt sell. They are hugely expensive. I am sure some guys have not liked them but honestly I put 800 hours on mine and I had no issues at all. I was about do for new tracks but that was about it. It appears as the new machines come out they are designing them so that VTS cant be installed. I am not sure if that is by design or by chance. While they are not perfect, it was a near perfect match for me. I was able to buy CTL capability for about 5K and see if a CTL was right for my operation. I determined that after a couple years with the VTS, I would not want to be without a tracked machine. So I bought a CTL when the VTS equipped machine was ready to trade out. I have heard the parts are expensive but never had the pleasure.

ironjunkie

If they are so readily available on the used market, it sounds like people are not satisfied with the VTS? Why?

Ken

I think that Cat dealers started "sliding" them into their sales back when they were in bed and trouble with the asv uc. Now they are showing up on the used market as a result.