• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

otc undercarriage press

superwrench0166

does any one have an old otc catalog listing this item. i have the tooling and the chart for the track side. i have alot of the tooling for the sprocket and gear removal side but i not sure what i actually have. would greatly appreciate if anyone can lead me to a copy of the sprocket side.

mljohn

did you ever get a copy of the chart? i am in search of both charts kind of in the same boat

tctractors

Is it CAT service tool part No's or other make tractors you are after information on, I do have tooling lists for Fiat , Komatsu and CAT iron, some of the tooling was changed to different spec's more than once, so things can be confusing at times looking at tool charts, I also keep my own detail list on adapters, dead shaft nut size on the hex and dia, plus the pinion tread and nut hex size, on the field service track press side of things, I only use the 2 tension rod set up as I found the C frame gizmo a costly waste of time, it was dangerous, tricky to handle and crap realy, I only use the pin press on big chains 30 ton and over excavators 50mm D8 pins etc all the others I club em' in with a good hammer, on the sprocket side of things I have everything to push pull from D2 (the 1 CAT I have never touched) to D9 size iron.

mljohn

i just scored a 100 ton/50 ton otc pin press /sprocket puller set and was looking to sort out the adapters for the sprocket puller set. the pin press adapters are not as hard to figure but some sort of refrence would insure correct fitment.

Randy88

Maybe contact WTC I think is the name that bought out otc's track press line, they are in wisconsin, can't remember the name for sure, maybe wisconsin track company phone number is 800-248-8405 keep asking for someone who knows something about what you need, the secretaries are not the sharpest at what you want, but they do have it or can access it for you. Those press's are still made today, they just changed some of the part numbers to match theirs instead of otc's, they can even print off the old numbering system of otc's if you find someone that understands what you need. Best of luck

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
OTC was the supplier of Cat tools from the early 1930's. I have most of the Cat tool catalogs if you can give me some P/No's for any track press tooling you do have.
There were several different pumps, and several different hydraulic rams. There were 50, 70 and 100 ton presses, and the design of the pumps changed 2 or 3 times over the decades.
There are adaptors for pressing pins and bushings, adaptors for final drives and sprockets, and adaptors for a dozen different other jobs.

The amount of tooling available for these presses runs into the hundreds of different adaptors, collars, puller legs, nuts, and spacers. Each tractor usually requires a different set of tooling.
Not the first time a Cat field serviceman of less-than-adequate skills, turned up for a final drive job, and he'd forgotten some vital components of the tooling, such as the right adaptors. The top class servicemen didn't forget, though.

I'm just about done overhauling a Cat track press pump. It was a complete mess when I got it. The lid had been let come loose, and the oil reservoir contained two handfuls of dirt, and at least the same amount of water.
The seals all leaked, the gauge was frozen, and the gauge glass was pockmarked with weld slag. The pump reservoir was badly dented. Some people shouldn't be let near good tools.
This pump is a late model pump, it's built by Power Packer of Berlin WI, for Caterpillar. Not sure when OTC lost the contract to supply Caterpillar, but I recall Snap-On being a Cat tool supplier back in the early 1970's.
The pump came with a 150 tonne Enerpac ram, which is in pretty good shape, although not part of the original setup. I need to acquire the proper Cat ram.

I tore it all apart, cleaned it all out, bought all new seals for $26.00 (from my local seal supplier - Cat wanted $275.00 for a set of seals!!), and took the gauge down to a local, reputable gauge repair shop, who reckon they could repair any gauge.

I put the gauge on the counter, and the guys in the shop all looked like stunned rabbits, and said, "We can't repair this!". I said, "Why?". They said, "Because it's got a crimped retaining collar holding the glass in! We can't repair anything like that!"
Well, talk about walk out in disgust! I went back to my shop, levered the crimped edge back carefully, working all the way around - and carefully eased the metal retaining collar that holds the glass, off.

I carefully prised the needle off, unscrewed the screws holding the gauge face in place, and then unscrewed the screws holding the rack & pinion gear mechanism that spins the needle, in place.
I removed all this gear mechanism, which was corroded and jammed with verdigris. I soaked the mechanism in a jar of CLR (Calcium, Lime & Rust remover - a household cleaner), and then sandblasted the inside of the gauge housing.

Saw my local glass cutting man, and got him to make me a new glass for the gauge. Made a new gasket for the glass, and then reassembled all the freshly-cleaned components, with some CopperMaxx gasket sealant sealing the gasket.
Popped the retaining collar on, put the gauge housing and collar in the vice, with soft face jaws, and tightened the vice until the retaining collar was nice and snug.

Then I carefully went around the retaining collar, with a flat end punch, and tapped the crimp back down on the collar, until it was good and snug.
The finished gauge looks like a factory job, and testing shows it works just fine. It looks like I don't need no fancy gauge repair shops that can't do what they advertise, anyway - I can do it all myself. :D

sq5u1u.jpg

znxa3d.jpg

Last edited:

mljohn

here are some pics of what i am sorting out. a few of the pin press adapters have the application stamped on them bot most do not.

Attachments

• P2240019.JPG
    P2240019.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 3,581
  • P2240017.JPG
    P2240017.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 6,652
  • P2240016.JPG
    P2240016.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 4,068
  • P2240022.JPG
    P2240022.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 3,372
  • P2240015.JPG
    P2240015.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 3,403

mljohn

here are afew more

Attachments

• P2240021.JPG
    P2240021.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 3,509
  • P2240023.JPG
    P2240023.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 3,338
  • P2240018.JPG
    P2240018.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 3,358

mljohn

the ones marked have application stamped on them the others do not any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• P2240019.JPG
    P2240019.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 4,568

Randy88

Can you pan in to the left and take the rags off the stuff in the first photo, I think those are the cylinders for the c frame press, along with the cylinders for the two and three jaw pullers. As for the parts list for the stuff, the entire stuff, wtc should have it for you. I'm not sure where or how much you paid for the set but its an impressive set to say the least. What is it your wanting to know, what the parts are used for or how to use them, or how to assemble them to make it all work? On the three jaw puller, I'm thinking OTC still makes them and you can look up the numbers online to figure out how to assemble those, don't quote me on that though, call OTC to see what they still make, gear pullers should still be a made item for them, send the photo of your stuff to WTC to have them help identify your parts, keep asking someone there until you get someone that understands what you want. I don't have the manuals either, your looking for but got some stuff sent to me for the adapters I needed.

mljohn

i have the 100 and 50 ton jacks with the set but they have sat so long that the 100 ton needed a seal kit that is to the left in that pic dissasembled.

wht i would like to have is the application for the pin press adapters. i am in the process of getting the numbers off each one and try that route.

tctractors

mljohn, most of the components I see are for ether pin and bush action or pulling gears off shafts etc, I cannot spot any common tooling for rim pulling on CAT or Komatsu, I did spot the adjustable C spanner ends though I cannot say if they are the light or heavy spanner, this post might do better in the shop talk spot? were I have posted a few of my antic's with this line of kit, I know I have every adaptor (lots of them twice) to fit all CAT dead shafts and Pinions, 5 adaptors will do all CAT pinions on D2-D9 tractors, there is plenty more listed but not needed due to simple detail changes, please be carefull with the open frame pin press, my frame calved down in some order and by now is in China? I dont know if you have the electric pump? the hand pump will do the task but the press button gizmo is the way, I do have all the tooling lists as well as the required component parts for undertaking rim push pull etc, I also have my own list of kit required etc that is a great tome.
tctractors

mljohn

tc
the elec pump, large spanner, and a hand pump single action were in there.

the 5 cat pinion adapters are there. are the adapters common to other brands ?

how did the press calve? must have been a bad day.

thanks tc

tctractors

mljohn, I always used to use the old style pin push 2 rod set up, then I copped the open C type frame gizmo that I realy struggled to gell with, they are not as good as made out to use and calve down in a Banana shape with bits flying past your groin area, that is 1 bolt and 2 nuts I need to keep tight to me, so from now on untill I "park up" the 2 tension rod pin push is my style, the dead shaft adapters that are common are 1"3/8X12tpi D4/951, 1"1/2 D5/955, 1"3/4 D6C/D/977, 2" D7-931 2"1/2 D8H/K, the pinion adaptors are better listed with P No's as well, there is various mods to these like the change in pinion shape on D6D's, the later pinion has a stump before the thread needing a longer adaptor, the long adaptor will do both the old and new style pinion, so the short adaptor is never used or taken out to a job, the D5 pinions that we see in the U.K.are pushed together with no adaptor just a bolt, the C spanner thing is easy to explain, the light spanner the C bit fits onto the handle bit, the heavy spanner the C bit passes through a centre slot in the handle, its the heavy 1 you need.

tctractors

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Mljohn - Wow, that's some Aladdins Cave of tooling & adaptors! What I see there is possibly a mix of adaptors & tooling that comprises some Cat adaptors & tooling, and possibly some general purpose or Brand "X" adaptors & tooling.
The other problem may be that your adaptors and tooling are marked with OTC P/No's, and not Cat P/No's. In which case, you need an OTC catalog, as the two sets of P/No's are completely different, even though many of the adaptors & tooling are the same.

There is also the early track pin press arrangements (2S8210 & 1P3490) that was designed for the master pin in the old-style dry pins & bushings, and the later track pin press arrangement (5P2380) that is used for lubricated pins & bushings (SALT chains).
All of the tooling for the 1P3490 arrangement is included in the 5P2380 arrangement. However, some of the early adaptors are required to be modified to work with the SALT pins & bushings on the later arrangement.
Here's some scans below that may help you out.
The problem with the Cat tool book, is that tooling is grouped in the book, according to component or machine model/type, and this means that all the adaptors & tooling are scattered throughout the toolbook, not all in one place.

http://i43.tinypic.com/vhny8.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/14j8gig.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/f1jjag.jpg

mljohn

thank you tc and oz this info will get this sorted out.i am getting all the numbers recorded to see just what i have,

thanks all again

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
mljohn, still curious if you have the operators or parts manuals for this press kit you have above mine appears to be identical but want to sort it all out, get back to me when your not so busy or if anyone else has info about otc puller kit lead me to it please..............Tio

lantraxco

Bring it on, I can practically guarantee someone will find it useful, be it now or some day in the future. Maybe even me!

:rolleyes: