• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OSHA's New Service Truck Crane Rule

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
Seems that all the small stuff like boom trucks and forklifts with picking gear get into more trouble than any other gear out there.

That makes sense scraper. Could be because guys don't respect the fact you are still lifting weight in the air, think "it ain't that big" so can't get into trouble, or lack of simple education of physics as you said.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Personally, I have not run in OSHA very much since I've been working in lumber yards over the years. It looks like a lot of you guys have had plenty of experience though dealing with them. What happens if I do all the certification junk for me to operate my boom truck & I'm job siting a load of shingles for the guys to unload on the rood & a major malfunction happens & the boom goes through the roof? Is there going to be a new OSHA law put in place that we can't swing our boom more than 2' off the ground? No one can control everything @ every second @ every jobsite.

It's been a long time since I've seen or even heard of an OSHA inspector on a job. It seems most of the new safety rules are being written and enforced by insurance companies, they make up their own rules to save their own money regardless of even if the govt. says something's okay. And if you work in chemical plants or powerhouses, they make up their own sets of strict rules that change from place to place. As far as "2' off the ground" or whatever, as long as you're not overloading the machine based on the manufacturer's load chart, or range diagram, or getting too close to hot wires, you're not breaking the law by how high the load is. But, I totally understand what you're saying, if you have certification and/or a license in your pocket to run a machine, legally you could be more on the hook (no pun intended) because the license is meant to be proof that you know what you're doing and you are a responsible person. The person with the license is responsible no matter what the supervisor, the owner of the machine, or the owner of the property tells him to do.