• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oregon Logging Confrence Pics

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Deano- Sorry man I didnt get any pics of that black boom machine, Its a 330D log shovel. Everything was so tightly packed, it was hard to get pictures of everything.
Tracker- Its a small world bud! To bad we couldnt have meet and mabey had a brew or two!:drinkup

Jason

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
JTL, what's the attachment on the mini JCB called?

Its called a stroke harvester. Works like a dangle head, but its a little stroker.
hakmetusa.com is the web site. They have a little bit of info about it on there. I watched some video of it at the show. Seemed a bit slow, but for the size of the wood they were cutting, beat the heck out of a chainsaw!
I dont think it has a measuring system, but would work awesome for a pre-commercial thinning job, or just clearing the dead and dying reprod out of a stand.
Jason

Those 527 track skidders are awesome machines if you have to move alot of timber fast on steep ground!!!They will pull a big turn if you have a good operator.

REDWOOD LOGGER

Occupation
HOOKTENDER
ITS A 124 BUILT IN 2002 WITH A DETROIT AND DUAL SWING MOTORS, WE RUN A RUNNING SKY LINE SET UP WITH A MECHANICAL CARRIAGE. iTS REAL OPERATOR FRIENDLY, AND CAN MOVE THE RIGGIN REAL FAST.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
I got to go this year for the first time, took a few pictures. Trying to figure out how to upload them. They had a Madill 172 for sale by Modern Machinery from Gustafson Logging in Astoria, not sure if they were trading one in or they are cutting back.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Thanks for the picts!

It doesn't look like the event was well attended but I'm assuming you were in there early. I've heard it has been in a decline like the rest of the forestry industry.

What do you think?

When I was younger this show was the highlight of the year for anyone in the industry. Madill, thunderbird and all the other manufacturers were all there with huge booth outside and 5-10 machines shined and set up. I have gone 19 years in a row now. I'm only 20 so ive got a pretty record going so far. It used to take 6-8 hours to get through looking at everything. Every building at the fairgrounds was full. This last show had all the indoor vendors in one building. Even in 2002 it was huge. Growing up in the industry I know a lot of people out there. It took me a little less than 2 hours to catch up on life with everyone that I knew and look at all the booths. So yes. It isn't anything like it used to be. I guess it just follows the trend of the industry. I've heard stories of logging shows in the past(mid 80's) and I guess there used to be thunderbird girls. Walking into their tent out back was a lot like walking into a hooters from what I've heard.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
I for one will be there. 20 years old and I've gone 19 years in a row. Can't wait. Heard they may have a couple new Madill machines done by then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Looking forward to it too, will be my second year in a row. But I've wanted to go for about 25 years if that counts :cool:

That would be cool to see a brand new Madill yarder there this year?

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
There won't be a yarder. Maybe a Madill shovel- like I said they have signed commitments for 12 (that's the number an insider gave me) machines, mostly 3800C heelers. If you see a Madill at Eugene 2011, it will likely be a buncher or 3800C I suspect.

I last went to the show in 2003, and it was so small then compared to years past I havent been back. I'll always remember the 70's when there were 30+ new yarders. Skagit, Madill, Berger, Washington with 8 to 10 yarders each. Thunderbird hadn't even been dreamed of yet.....

in 2002 I could see the writing on the wall. I was working/helping with the show for Madill, and we got a chopper and took a bunch of ariel pics of the showgrounds. I'll round up those pics. I think we had 9 Madill machines in 2002- and a couple tan TB leftovers. Boy how I wish we'd have done that in the 70's and 80's!

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
I'll be there Saturday morning. Bright and early. I was very disappointed last year. In years past they would let you in around 7:00 AM to lumber around the outside stuff and catch up on life with everyone. They didnt do that last year. Hopefully we will at least see a couple madill logos at the modern booth at least. I know a lot of the mills around here are running out of wood. So logging has picked up a little bit. Hope to see everyone there!

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Boss called me today. Sounds like I might be in The Dalles in 2 weeks to do a little project. If so I'll defenitly make it down to Eugene.