• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Optical device for rough surveying

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
There a bit more but Kuker-Ranken are the best I have used and last a long time.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Last edited by boaterri; Today at 06:37 PM. Reason: found answer

Ok, maybe you found the answer, but we're here to share information. Somebody else might have the same question, or might never even have heard of the device before reading this thread. There was no good reason to edit that opportunity away. :beatsme

And since Dwan (and now dozerboy) have already replied, we can continue...

For everybody else, essentially, the question was, 'What's that little hand held thing that you look through to shoot grades?'

I knew exactly what you were talking about, but was searching for sites to point you to. Dwan was quicker than me.

They've been discussed a time or two here on HEF before, and different guys call them different things. I've always called it a "Lock Level", but didn't know before just now that it's more properly "Locke Level", named after its inventor, John Locke: http://www.surveyhistory.org/instrument_makers_john_locke1.htm

In addition to the links Dwan posted, you can find some more by Googling "locke level".

Last edited:

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Digger, Do you care to share with the class what your "edit" was? .... *** lol

Pj

Attachments

• Digger edit.JPG
    Digger edit.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 413

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Digger, Do you care to share with the class what your "edit" was? .... *** lol

Pj

Sure.

Originally I'd posted, "..but didn't know before just now that it's actually called a "Locke Level",... " (Bold added.) I decided somebody who might know it by a different name might think I was being critical in using the word "actually", so I modified it to "more properly", because that indicates that the misconception I was correcting really was my own.

Why do you want to know?

On edit: I might add, the reason that little tidbit is important is that you don't get many results if you Google "lock level"...

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Why don't we just delete the whole thread. without the question it makes our answers look out of place.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have always heard it called a hand level. Learn something new everyday.;)

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
on a more serious note,.....I've always heard it called either a "Hand level" or an "Eye Level"

Pj

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Why don't we just delete the whole thread. without the question it makes our answers look out of place.

Cause now we're teaching CM and Pj what a "Locke level" is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger242j
Why do you want to know?
Where do babies come from?

Oh and what is your password lol

And as soon as he's mastered that, we're going to try to teach Pj the difference between the words "why" and "what"...

JDOFMEMI

Well, it may be a regional thing, as I have heard it called an "eye level",because it levels to your eye.

One of the first things I was taught when learning to grade check is to establish your personal "eye height", much like establishing the height of instrument when using a transit level. When you know your eye height, you can quickly estimate grades with enough accuracy to get it roughed in.

I agree that a Kuker-Ranken, K-R in 2 power is the best one to carry. Long lasting, easy to calibrate, and good optics. If using in bright sunlight, try tying a piece of ribbon over the lens where the bubble is. It will block the glare, but still show the bubble. I tried many colors, but oddly enough, pink seemed to work the best.

I am surprised there has never been a thread on this.

Wow, while I was browsing and responding, 2 or 3 more posts got added. Does that mean I am slow?

DPete

Hand level in my neck of the woods, I think mine is Dietz, very handy for rough in grade checking with a tape measure. Agree with Jerry on knowing your eye level mine happens to be 6'0" which comes in handy. Also have used cab height, tape measure and hand level to check deeper cuts over 10'. A real grade checker could teach alot of tricks with one, I just shoot level with mine but the other 2 lines in the level can be used if you know how. I wondered what ... meant when I oped the thread. lol

Last edited:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Eye-level, sight level, pea shooter, pea gun but I've never heard it called a Locke level. You can use a sight level and shovel as a quick and dirty transit.

One of the first things I was taught when learning to grade check is to establish your personal "eye height"

We used to make a game out of that. You had to name something across the site that was at eye level.

Last edited:

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
or if there is any farm land irrigated nearby you could have that guy doing the irrigating tell u what the grade is!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Eye-level, sight level, pea shooter, pea gun but I've never heard it called a Locke level.

For them that don't feel like reading the article I linked to, here's the illustration at the end. I did look at the picture to be sure a Locke Level was the same thing as everybody else is talking about. It hasn't changed all that much:

Attachments

• locke_small.jpg
    locke_small.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 238

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Around here it we called it a pea shooter or a pocket level. my dad always had one in his pocket. I think he used one made by craftsman that was called "pocket level" on it. He had an old one made of metal, but when he finally broke the glass in it, he was heartbroken to find that they only make plastic ones now.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have several as well,Leitz,K&N and others.I even have one with 5 X magnification.I have one that is flat on the bottom so that you can use it as a carpenters level.
My favorite one is the K&N,the cheapest of the bunch.The magnifying one is useless unless you use it at 1 X power.
I call them a site level which is generic I suppose for a hand level.They were known years ago as a Locke level because Locke invented them or marketed them first I guess.Diggers post explains it all.They are a handy tool as long as you know and respect their limitations.I have used them for years with a 6' folding rule.I set my target at 55" which is just right for me so I don't have to bend over.LOL.Ron G