• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opps, Crane in the pond

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I am not very good at this photo thing, but with nothing else to do, I thought I might try. Here are some photos of a crane we were draglining with. The pond dike failed, and the LS98 crane fell in and sank in the slop. The operator got out ok.dragline in pond 2.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice - thanks for sharing.

What is the pond used for - settling or something else? We're ya'll cleaning the pond out or making it bigger?

BTW good job on the pics.:)

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Yes, the pond was part of a series of settling ponds for waste from a ferro-alloys plant. We were building new ponds and cleaning out the overflow channel from the ponds. This pond was full of sludge and the dikes were built up over the years using flyash and whatever else they had handy. I had warned the operator to watch for any sign of dike failure, like cracks. Unfortunately, when he saw the crack appear under the machine, it was too late. This happened in the mid 70's.
The reason for the new ponds, was that an old pond dike failed, taking 3 draglines with it. Our company then got the task of designing and building new settling ponds. The whole property was very unstable place to work. I will have to see if I have any photos of the 3 draglines turned over in the old pond.
Jeff

mitch504

I wish I could learn to take pics, but I am always focused on getting the job done. Then, when it's done, I think I wish I had pics of that.

I once recovered a 22B dragline out of a pond with a 215 Cat and a 410 Deere.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I am lucky to have these old photos. That was back in the days before cell phone cameras. Now, it is easy to take photos, if I could just remember to do it.
Jeff