• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operators and Booze

Welder Dave

TV certainly makes it seem like alcohol is a requirement if you have a high up position or apparently a higher stress job. I don't think it's a good thing to promote though. Just like smoking was made to look like the cool thing to do. Contrary to popular belief alcohol doesn't usually solve any problems but can make them worse. Recovering alcoholics don't normally like being around people who are drinking. Seeing people drinking on TV as a way to reduce stress or solve problems might cause people trying to stay dry to think it's OK to drink if you had a tough day.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I met Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, well a hand shake at a bar in Halifax. Randy used to work for Sparkling Springs water company, and he was in my home town for work, and was at a local night club. Everyone kept yelling at him to take his shirt off. I just missed Rae at the university of New Brunswick in Fredericton, giving a talk on creative writing. I went to pick up a girl I was dating at the time.
One thing I learned recently was Barrie Dunn (Ray) was also a lawyer.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
My dad went to AA before I was born and still kept in contact with his sponsor. His sponsor was a pilot which was awesome. He'd rent a plane from the flying club and take us for rides. My dad was close to getting his pilots license. My dad said he never got into any problems because of his drinking but couldn't just have 1 drink. He realized he had a problem so did something about it. When he was in the air force in WW II he said they would get drunk just to get drunk. Triple rye with a beer chaser. He was blown out of a 4 engine bomber so there were certainly some horrific things they didn't want to have to think about. My mom drank a little bit but not very much. There was never much alcohol in the house and drinking never really appealed to me. I'd have a couple drinks sometimes when out with people but never felt the need to get a good buzz on. I'm not going to risk anything now with the meds. I'm taking. Really wish my dad could have quit smoking too. It's worse than drinking in a lot of ways.

I know a guy that drinks beer worse than a fish. He's lost his license 3 times and requires a portable breathalyzer in his truck. He was telling me how good of a deal he got on his insurance like he was proud of it. Only $3200/yr. and that was about 8 or so years ago. I'd say he was the definition of a high functioning alcoholic. He was a computer whizz and would troubleshoot and fix major issues for large companies. His drinking was so bad that his son moved out of the house they bought together. I think his son didn't want to get the same way. However one night after midnight the son called me drunk as a skunk. I had no idea why but could tell he was pi$$Ed out of his tree. I think it's hard for light drinkers or non drinkers to understand why other people feel the need to drink to excess on a regular basis.

"When he was in the air force in WW II he said they would get drunk just to get drunk.... He was blown out of a 4 engine bomber so there were certainly some horrific things they didn't want to have to think about."

Having had 12 or so first cousins and other relatives in WWII and seeing the rate of alcoholism among them and not making excuses, my money is on your dad's having had PTSD, known then as "shell shock" or something similar. It is a horrible affliction where the affected believes himself to blame for having the horrible memories and or nightmares from which he cannot escape except perhaps with professional help, but then, they believe, there is the stigma for seeking professional help for the mind. The VA, according to those I know, is hugely staffed to help those with PTSD and in many cases can provide some relief. Me? I did Vietnam for a few months and seem to have escaped most of the problems such service can bestow.

skyking1

I'm very glad to hear that tarhee driver.
My trucker friend slim. I've told some stories about him, he also spent quite a bit of time in country and did not get damaged by it. I think it's the nature of the job you had. He was in the navy but on shore working on moving materials and somehow it kept him out of the worst of it.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Thank you, skyking1. Yes, I was very lucky, but some of my friends not so, including a couple of guys who were in combat in the Middle East in combat. I do get excellent medical care from the VA (all servicemembers who were in Vietnam at any time are eligible for VA medical care, albeit some are subject to very-low copays). Once in the VA system, I hugely recommend that communication with the service-member's primary-care team or pharmacy be by email using a no-cost VA account through the VA portal known as Myhealthevet with a no-cost "Premium" account. It is easy to use once established. The VA's phone service will work, but emailing is best.

skyking1

My trucker friend Pete where I took all those stumps out, he did not have a good go in Viet Nam. He had two Hueys shot out from under him as an infantryman. That would indicate he was on the very pointy end of the sharp stick, and he does not talk about it.

Welder Dave

"When he was in the air force in WW II he said they would get drunk just to get drunk.... He was blown out of a 4 engine bomber so there were certainly some horrific things they didn't want to have to think about."

Having had 12 or so first cousins and other relatives in WWII and seeing the rate of alcoholism among them and not making excuses, my money is on your dad's having had PTSD, known then as "shell shock" or something similar. It is a horrible affliction where the affected believes himself to blame for having the horrible memories and or nightmares from which he cannot escape except perhaps with professional help, but then, they believe, there is the stigma for seeking professional help for the mind. The VA, according to those I know, is hugely staffed to help those with PTSD and in many cases can provide some relief. Me? I did Vietnam for a few months and seem to have escaped most of the problems such service can bestow.
My dad didn't have PTSD. He certainly was a prime candidate for it but thankfully didn't get it. He realized he couldn't have just 1 drink and did something about it. He never got in any trouble from drinking but did realize he had a problem so did something so he wouldn't get in trouble from drinking. He was lucky to be alive. He was offered a high ranking position in the Canadian Air Force after the war but turned it down. He figured he had done his part for Canada. He continued target shooting and became the 3rd master marksman in Canada. Master was the highest ranking and my dad was the youngest by almost 10 years. He carved his own gun stock from a rough blank. He won the Alberta championship so many times in the 50's they gave him the trophy. He could hit a target about the size of a dime from 100yds. He quit shooting not long after that because it wasn't fun anymore. It became all about beating him. He didn't boast or act differently, he was just a really good shot. Some other shooters would mock him and/or rub it in his face if they beat him or he missed having a perfect shot or perfect round. Who needs that. He didn't have to prove himself to anyone. He liked shooting and happened to be really good at it. Did he have a perfect bullseye everytime, no. It's very hard for any shooter to do. He had a friend who was a cop years later that was impressed when my dad took a few shots with a pistol. He was always going to teach us to shoot but never did and sadly I never got to see him shoot. I do have a bunch of his shooting medals though. Unfortunately his Alberta championship trophy got broken by my brother and me when we were pretty young. My dad had a lot of friends and I don't know of any enemies. He set a good example and would help anyone out if he could.

Welder Dave

My trucker friend Pete where I took all those stumps out, he did not have a good go in Viet Nam. He had two Hueys shot out from under him as an infantryman. That would indicate he was on the very pointy end of the sharp stick, and he does not talk about it.
My dad didn't talk about the war much but there were exceptions. If he was with another vet he would share some stories and when my sister had a teacher that thought knowing about the war was important he opened up. She got an A plus on her report. The teacher was very impressed. My dad later met the teacher and thanked her for letting students know about the war. I think it's really hard for most people to fathom that the average age of people in WW II was about 20 years old. A big majority volunteered and many including my dad lied about their age. Nobody ever questioned it.