• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operators and Booze

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a contract doing site work for a city wellness center. Rink, gym, pool. We are a sub contractor for a large local construction company. It's shaping up to be around 5 years work.. Construction here is mostly seasonal, and most of our company is laid off for the winter months. Mostly between late November, to mid May. With this project, there a lot of us still on the payroll. There is no grader work, but I had been running hoe, and dozer up until around January. Most of our truck drivers are older, and really prefer to be off for the winter months, so drivers are scarce. I am a trucker as well, so I said I'll grab a truck, if you can get another operator in. They bring this guy in. In his 40s, he works at the quarry. The property is in an old sandstone pit. Beautiful material, a shame really. One area is a 9 meter, so almost 30 foot cut, so it's pretty hard digging. A 470 Hitachi, and a 350 Linkbelt digging, and another 350 Linkbelt with a ripper tooth ripping. Anyway this quarry man. I have been watching him, and you talk about an under used man, in the quarry. He out loads the 470. I backed in to the 470 with a tandem truck at the same time as a 350 John Deere wiggle wagon backed into him on the 350, and the rock truck was loaded before me. His side of the cut is smooth and consistant. I messaged the crusher forman, and he said he is an awesome operator. He can run anything, and when it comes time to change screens, he is the first one to pitch in. But he has a bad drinking problem. Other than that he said, he would be perfect. He said there have been many times when he had to take him back home after his wife dropped him off. Too bad. So much going on with drugs these days, you sometime forget about the bottle getting someone anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyking1

Oh no I don't. I grew up in a household with a professional drinker for a father. He kept it together but I think he was the exception by far. It is a powerful thing and I chose not to flirt with it anymore. I do believe it has a genetic component to it and I was not cut out to drink responsibly so I don't drink at all.

It's a dang shame about your operator. You hate to see somebody struggle so.

Truck Shop

Really what is responsible drinking--cutting it off at one drink not one in the morning. I haven't
drank for 14 years, don't miss it or the cost. If one has a CDL in their pocket and are in a pool-
that means no drinking if you value your license car or truck. It's a hard thing for some to break
and some never do. The bad part is if children are present when domestic stuff happen. I don't
care about people drinking just as long as it doesn't effect me or others, and out from behind a
wheel.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
This young fella has lost his drivers license several times. He has one of those things in his car where he has to blow into the tube to get it to start. My father was a drinker. He quit when I was young, so I only have a few memories of the fights he and my mother had. Mom was raised on a farm and she could hold her own. My sisters and brother have more memories of his drinking, and I don't think my brother, who is the second oldest, really forgave him.

skyking1

We had a rough summer of 1975. My brother drowned, dad could not keep it together and he drug up and left us. My brother in law was crushed and paralyzed.
Dad got in a zone working for the state. He drank in the bar till midnight, got up and showered and put on cologne to cover the booze oozing out of him, and went to work every day it was required. Then he would stop at the first dive on the way home and "take the edge off the day". His words.
They would have 5 well shots of the cheap stuff in a chimney next to a glass of water. He would drink 3 of those, 15 well shots. Get back in his car, drive home, and then walk to the bar by the house and get drunk until midnight.
He got two DUI's. First one he was turning left into the driveway towing his boat home and got rear ended hard by another drunk.
The second was the same deal. He was perfectly functional, and got rear ended by another drunk driver.
After he died I drank for another two years and then gave it up 34 years ago.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
According to VA (Veteran Affairs) hospital standards if you have more than 7 drinks per a week or 5 then you are an alcoholic. Well fk'em, I guess I am one then, damn the luck. If they only knew half the schit I have seen or done they might be one themselves just from listening.

IceHole

According to VA (Veteran Affairs) hospital standards if you have more than 7 drinks per a week or 5 then you are an alcoholic. Well fk'em, I guess I am one then, damn the luck. If they only knew half the schit I have seen or done they might be one themselves just from listening.
I get "the talk" and I might have a 12 pack a month, if that.

skyking1

My dad was already drinking pretty hard when he went into the Marines at 18-ish and fought his last battle on Iwo Jima. I hear your sentiments. I know that did not help him.

Welder Dave

My dad went to AA before I was born and still kept in contact with his sponsor. His sponsor was a pilot which was awesome. He'd rent a plane from the flying club and take us for rides. My dad was close to getting his pilots license. My dad said he never got into any problems because of his drinking but couldn't just have 1 drink. He realized he had a problem so did something about it. When he was in the air force in WW II he said they would get drunk just to get drunk. Triple rye with a beer chaser. He was blown out of a 4 engine bomber so there were certainly some horrific things they didn't want to have to think about. My mom drank a little bit but not very much. There was never much alcohol in the house and drinking never really appealed to me. I'd have a couple drinks sometimes when out with people but never felt the need to get a good buzz on. I'm not going to risk anything now with the meds. I'm taking. Really wish my dad could have quit smoking too. It's worse than drinking in a lot of ways.

I know a guy that drinks beer worse than a fish. He's lost his license 3 times and requires a portable breathalyzer in his truck. He was telling me how good of a deal he got on his insurance like he was proud of it. Only $3200/yr. and that was about 8 or so years ago. I'd say he was the definition of a high functioning alcoholic. He was a computer whizz and would troubleshoot and fix major issues for large companies. His drinking was so bad that his son moved out of the house they bought together. I think his son didn't want to get the same way. However one night after midnight the son called me drunk as a skunk. I had no idea why but could tell he was pi$$Ed out of his tree. I think it's hard for light drinkers or non drinkers to understand why other people feel the need to drink to excess on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
$148 billion.
And that's just one country

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Just think how many roads & bridges could be repaired.

I contribute about $140 a month to that bill and I did build a few things with that money I spent. Sometimes sanity comes with a price.
Want to see me design and or think something up beyond most would want or could comprehend, pour me a drink and I will explain to you the answers of the universe, life and everything is more than just 42.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Case of beer usually lasts me 6 months. I hardly ever drink, might crack open a beer or 2 while working around the yard or in the garage on the weekend but that's really it.

Can't afford to drink in the pub anymore, a pint is around $7 now. Stopped in at the pub for a plate of wings and a pint last week and the bill was almost $24 before the tip. Glad I know how to cook lol.

Truck Shop

I knew a guy that was really smart, very smart, too smart for his own good. He graduated CWU
4 point for four years. Went to University of Washington medical school {at one time rated in the
top 5 med schools} graduated top of his class highest honors. Went through his residency at
Milwaukee County Hospital where he assisted with the first surgery on a baby in the womb { was
on the nightly big three NBC, ABC, CBS. One of the top in his field a very accredited surgeon,
had written papers about certain surgery strategies. --Smart as all get out, still is, has read the
over 4,500 books in his privet library.
But he was the biggest fool I've ever known. He lost his operating license at 53 years old------
cause----was alcohol. It damn near ruined his life, the good thing is while drinking he didn't
ruin someone else's. All that smartness shot down the tube for alcohol. He hasn't drank now
for 19 years, but he is bitter as bad almonds in allot of ways. A man who was respected by
his piers and had the world by the ass {no pun intended}. During those years I hardly talked
to him, only saw him about 5 times in 20 years.
I still know him--he's my brother.

Tyler d4c

My family tree has it share of people how liked a drink. There all dead now dad and his twin never really hit it in my time. I got to the point where things where not moving at the pace I knew they should and that was enough.
Plus I'm nuts enough in a normal state. If I was a drunk or high on something besides life it would not be good.

Welder Dave

I knew a guy that was really smart, very smart, too smart for his own good. He graduated CWU
4 point for four years. Went to University of Washington medical school {at one time rated in the
top 5 med schools} graduated top of his class highest honors. Went through his residency at
Milwaukee County Hospital where he assisted with the first surgery on a baby in the womb { was
on the nightly big three NBC, ABC, CBS. One of the top in his field a very accredited surgeon,
had written papers about certain surgery strategies. --Smart as all get out, still is, has read the
over 4,500 books in his privet library.
But he was the biggest fool I've ever known. He lost his operating license at 53 years old------
cause----was alcohol. It damn near ruined his life, the good thing is while drinking he didn't
ruin someone else's. All that smartness shot down the tube for alcohol. He hasn't drank now
for 19 years, but he is bitter as bad almonds in allot of ways. A man who was respected by
his piers and had the world by the ass {no pun intended}. During those years I hardly talked
to him, only saw him about 5 times in 20 years.
I still know him--he's my brother.
He is/was a highly functioning alcoholic too and figured the drinking wasn't a big deal (until it caught up to him)? Now he's bitter and mad mostly at himself for not doing something about it a long time ago?

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I'm predisposed to be an alcoholic with those genes from both sides of the family. I chose long ago not to be one. I do not consider it a disease but a conscious choice of my own free will not to be dependent on substances. I could do a lot of stupid stuff in my life but I choose not to. It's all about taking responsibility.

Labeling any bad choice as an addiction is the same thing as affirmative action for dummies. You're just providing an excuse for poor choices.