• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Open or closed

tylermckee

You usually run with the front window open or closed? I usually keep it open unless its raining, or pretty windy. I just dont like looking through dirty glass, its one of my pet peeves i guess

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Open. When it's really cold or really hot, I'll keep the side door closed and run the heater or AC (if they work) on high, but I can't stand the way the glass inhibits visibility, even if it is clean. Usually I keep it open in the rain too. The wipers just don't give enough of a clear view. The only exception would be if I'm doing something that doesn't take a lot of precision, like bailing dirt into tucks all day...

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I gotta have the front window open as digger said the window hampers the vision. When I was digging in the landfill bailing rotting garbage I had to have the window open. You just get use to the smell and stuff squirting on you with the sun baking that garbage up real nice bringing out the best aroma possible.

Almost 90% of the machines I run have cab guarding so there are bars over the front window so it feels like your in a jail cell looking out :bouncegri

Grader4me

Ford LT-9000 said:
I gotta have the front window open as digger said the window hampers the vision. When I was digging in the landfill bailing rotting garbage I had to have the window open. You just get use to the smell and stuff squirting on you with the sun baking that garbage up real nice bringing out the best aroma possible.

Almost 90% of the machines I run have cab guarding so there are bars over the front window so it feels like your in a jail cell looking out :bouncegri

My god:eek: if I was ever going to operate with a closed window it would be in that situation.
I also like to have the window open especially when ditching so I can stick my head out once in a while to have a better look.
Ford LT-9000 you are a brave man:yup

rino1494

digger242j said:
Open. When it's really cold or really hot, I'll keep the side door closed and run the heater or AC (if they work) on high, but I can't stand the way the glass inhibits visibility, even if it is clean. Usually I keep it open in the rain too. The wipers just don't give enough of a clear view. The only exception would be if I'm doing something that doesn't take a lot of precision, like bailing dirt into tucks all day...

I am with you on that one 100%

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
I run with the window open. I hate the glare I get on the window even if it's clean. I find I can see better with it open for this reason. It only gets closed if it's really cold or really wet. We only run minis and therefore can move the boom sideways. I always have to open the right side window too if I put it to the right. Can barely see if I don't.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Depends on the site, but 75% of the time the front window is closed. Mainly to keep the dust out. The only reason that I open the window is for finesse work or if it is one of the older machines with a finicky A/C system.:bash

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The same landfill I worked at runs open cab Cats to push garbage so you get used to the smell after awhile you don't smell it anymore :D

When the rock breaker is on the machine all the windows are closed and you suffer with the heat most machines here are not AC equiped.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I keep it closed mostly because of my allergies and asthma, especially since I do a lot of demo. I will leave it open at times, but prefer to keep it closed.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Closed only because of dust. I have allergies that tend to get to me after a lot of dust so I like to keep it closed whenever possible. For close up work or stuff I need to pay attention to, I'll run it open to get a better view. Other than that, doors and windows closed with A/C going.

Grader4me

When the rock breaker is on the machine all the windows are closed and you suffer with the heat most machines here are not AC equiped.

Maybe getting off topic but all of us over the years have operated these machines in the searing heat all day with no such thing as an AC. At times you almost pass out because of the temperature inside the cab. So how much production are you getting when you are suffering like that?
When I finally got a AC in my machine it was the difference between night and day. I felt just as fresh at the end of my day as I did at the beginning. I wish companies would realize (and I am sure some do) that by looking after their operators and making them comfortable, production and morale would be much better.
Believe it or not I have seen some companies order a new machine that comes standard with AC only to have it removed before delivery:Banghead
I realize that some companies just starting and trying to make a go of it cannot afford AC in their equipment and this is completely understandable. But the big companies that turn a good profit, and can afford it have no excuse.
Sorry for the long post but this is a pet peeve of mine. Look after the operators as they are the backbone of your companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
That’s just like the first grading company I work for (2days) there mechanic smashed the brake lines on the new scrapers so we didn't get use to them.:Banghead :confused:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
For us on the West Coast when it gets really hot work stops especially if your working in a area where your dealing with dry scrub brush. All it takes is one spark and you have a fire going.

When I was running hoe all I used was a fan that is in the cab it blows pretty much on your head it keeps you cool. Have a cooler in the cab with cold water in it good enough for us.

Try driving a old Louisville Ford 9000 with a 400 Cummins the cab is like a oven because half the engine is in the cab under a doghouse cover no AC roll the windows down.

I have to have the front window up or I will get claustiafobia (sp) with the front window down and the door closed I have a hard time breathing.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Grader4me said:
Maybe getting off topic but all of us over the years have operated these machines in the searing heat all day with no such thing as an AC. At times you almost pass out because of the temperature inside the cab. So how much production are you getting when you are suffering like that?
When I finally got a AC in my machine it was the difference between night and day. I felt just as fresh at the end of my day as I did at the beginning. I wish companies would realize (and I am sure some do) that by looking after their operators and making them comfortable, production and morale would be much better.

Sorry for the long post but this is a pet peeve of mine. Look after the operators as they are the backbone of your companies.

Well said, We did a demoltion recently where we had three machines working. My partner Johnny has to have that front window up on the excavator (runs the A/C as well...air conditioning the world...and filling the evaporator with dust and crap so the A/C hardly works...and then complains about it) but myself and the other guy (938F) ran with the windows closed and the A/C on. At the end of the day Johnny was black from head to toe and totally exhausted....the other guy and myself where clean as a whistle and ready to move on to the next job. What more can you say....

Grader4me

I also like to have the window open especially when ditching so I can stick my head out once in a while to have a better look.

I was thinking of this statement that I made:rolleyes: I always had the machine shut off and everything lowered before I stuck my head out to look but...the window still could have come down!
I remember one time I was loading gravel with the front bucket of the backhoe, and it was very hot. I had the back window open to get some air. As I was dumping a bucket of gravel, the back window came down with such a force, that I know if my head would have been there I wouldn't be typing this now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MVFD

I work in BC canada on Vancouver Island and we mostly deal with blast rock. it all depends on the day and what Im doing. I find having the window down helps protect me from pieces of rock that break off from dropping a boulder if they hit right pieces explode. after a few hits to the face that sting for a while... the window goes down. Im lucky to have A/C in my machine. so on hot days everything is closed up and A/C blasting.

I also close up if I dont feel like talking to anyone. it seems to be an open house for people to come up and try and talk with the door open. but I do like the visibility of the door open and window open.

I completely agree with the post about operator comfort. the operator will preform at a higher level and for a longer time if he is comfortable.