• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Open/closed cab for Mini-Ex stored outside in winter

David Boreham

Newb question: I'm looking for a mini excavator to use on various projects on my property. I don't have shop space at present for the machine so it would be stored outside. We are in a very snowy location: we have 2-3' accumulation through the winter which lasts 4-5 months. I'm finding more machines available here with no/open cab vs closed cab and they are also typically less expensive. It seems like being covered in deep snow for months would not be good for controls, seat etc. Do folks cover these machines in storage (like you would an RV) or should I limit myself to closed cab machines for my climate conditions? Thanks.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I have an older JD Dozer, I'll wrap the roll cage up in a heavy tarp for the winter, easy enough to remove if I need to use it, Mini would be happy, maybe hit northern tool and get their heavy canvas tarps, they seem to last a lot longer than the plastic ones but they weigh a lot.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Open cab would be designed to be out in the elements. But if you want shelter, I have a friend with an arch span shelter. A bit more robust than those hardware store tents. It is in among the trees, it has a rounded top so the snow slides off it. He keeps his tractor in it, and it must be over 15 years old(the tent) still holding up

CatKC

For my two cents worth: Tarps are great unless you have a lot of wind. You can tie them down but, if you have a new piece of equipment or like to keep paint on it, a lot of wind tends to buff the paint off where the tarp contacts the equipment.
An arch span works good if 'pointed in the right direction' and/or in the trees.
I prefer a shed enclosed on four sides.
I also prefer enclosed cabs as the elements are -always- harder on the interiors/controls in an open cab.