• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oops, how to repair seat? case 580C

boomvan

In my first day of ownership of my "new" 580C, I took out the floor panels to access the break system and top of trans. In doing so, I removed the seat and accidently unleashed the evil power of the seat suspension spring. This spring is about 5 foot long and needs to be compressed to fit back into the 1 foot long cylinder. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to get this spring back into where it belongs? Surely I'm not the first one to make this mistake? :beatsme
Thank you..

cat320

Charter Member
sorry I have never had that happen when i had mine those type of compretion springs are a pain I would call your local case dealer they may know how to put it back in.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
In doing so, I removed the seat and accidently unleashed the evil power of the seat suspension spring. This spring is about 5 foot long...

Is that how long it is? :eek:

Now I feel really lucky.

I had that happen to me once, but fortunately, it was in the process of turning the seat around to face the backhoe. It only came up about 6 or 8 inches, and I was holding onto the seat at the time, so it was fairly easy to get the spring back inside just by getting it lined up and pushing the top part of the column back down where it belonged.

I don't know how you're going to get it back in there now, but I did have just a glimpse of what a headache it might be. Good luck... :beatsme

Goose

First off there is a snap ring that must be off that keeps the inner tube from coming out of the outer tube when the seat is raised all the way up. To assemble the seat remove the bottom plate on the base, install a new snap ring and extend the seat and feed the spring in from the bottom with the bottom plate which has a guide on it.

tresslers

I had my seat fly apart on me. The best way I found was to put the seat all the way to the up position as far out as it would go and then put the spring on the bottom part. with two people walk the seat together and bolt it back together. It took a little bit but it works.

boomvan

yeah, i got this put back together a while ago.
i used to front loader, about 3 feet of PVC pipe, full face protection and over an hour of time to get it back in there.. PVC pipe to guide it back in, cutting away 6 inches of PVC at a time.. fun fun.

cat 385

yeah, i got this put back together a while ago.
i used to front loader, about 3 feet of PVC pipe, full face protection and over an hour of time to get it back in there.. PVC pipe to guide it back in, cutting away 6 inches of PVC at a time.. fun fun.
so it was a really easy to do then huh?ha ha:Banghead

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I remember doing it once the way Goose explained it, and had no problem, maybe my spring was weak. Phil:)

Schaeff58

Occupation
Teacher/jack of all trades master of none
Oh Hey sorry I see this now...."yeah, i got this put back together a while ago.
i used to front loader, about 3 feet of PVC pipe, full face protection and over an hour of time to get it back in there.. PVC pipe to guide it back in, cutting away 6 inches of PVC at a time.. fun fun."

went right by it

So how does the seat stay together? Or do you just have to keep you ass on the seat as you adjust it to spin around, up down etc... I bought what I think is the snap ring.. but have no clue where it goes.

Thanks!

Schaeff58

aighead

Beware @Schaeff58 , though it sounds like your problem has been solved, this thread was 13 years old when you replied to it. Occasionally you get lucky and the other users are still around but often they aren't.

Schaeff58

Occupation
Teacher/jack of all trades master of none
Beware @Schaeff58 , though it sounds like your problem has been solved, this thread was 13 years old when you replied to it. Occasionally you get lucky and the other users are still around but often they aren't.

Sage advice Aighead, and I do appreciate and understand. Somethings ya just gotta reach out and hope for the best. Thanks for your comment!