• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

older 15-22.5 tires need replacement, options?

boomvan

Hello everyone,

My dump truck has old 15-22.5 tubeless tires on the steer axle that need replacement. They are dry-rotted and drive terrible at speeds above 30mph. The truck is new to me. I don't even know what these tires are rated at for speed, they make the truck shake and bounce pretty badly. Not sure if they are Bias or Radial tires, not much info out there on these.

The rims are 12.25 x 22.5, split rims. What kind of tires should I look at for these rims, so I can drive 55mph and not be shook off the road? Front axle is rated at 12000 pounds.

Thanks!

1984 GMC 7000 tandem axle dump truck, air brakes, 8.2L, Allison MT653 trans.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Not to be real negative, but I dont think its a good idea to have dry rotten tires on steer axles
Im pretty sure that a split rim, has tubes-not tubeless, but Ive been wrong before
I did a change over similar to this a few months ago, I think I replaced the 22.5 split rim with a 24.5 dayton rim and used 11rx24.5 tires
There is another post taking about this, but I dont remember how to find it

mitch504

385/65R-22.5 is a direct replacement for a 15 -22.5. They will go on your rims. When you say "split rims", I think you mean Dayton, or demountable rims. If your tires are 15.00-20 they aren't tubeless. As long as they say 22.5, they are tubeless, one piece rims.

When you see the price of new 385/65R-22.5s, you may decide to go with 8x 22.5 rims and 11R-22.5 tires, if you don't need the floatation. They are the same diameter, just narrower.

mitch504

What I meant about floatation was that the wider tires make a big difference on soft ground on a straight truck. If you don't spend a lot of time in the mud, the 11R-22.5s will save you a lot of money.

I run 11Rs on my tractor-trailers, and 385s on my straight trucks, because I live in the mud.