• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Toyota SDK6 has a new owner

Davo

G'Day folks, I have just got an old sdk6 to use around a small farm, I hav'nt messed around with these things before but like to have a go at my own repairs so any advice you may have would be much appreciated. The engine is good. The hydraulics for lifting are no worries, but, the drive hydraulics are straining under a small amount of load (slight hill) or when turning it will only turn in a large circle not on the spot (there's a fair bit of noise - almost a grinding feeling associated when trying to do a tight turn). I have ordered a new hydraulic filter and plan to change the oil out at the same time (previous owner told me this would fix the problem) the oil does look pale (like my beer! but thicker). Is there any way of knowing the age of this machine? the frame number is 13541, dumping height , 2200mm, capacity 450kg, weight 2140kg. Cheers Davo.

Susantha

Hi guys!!!!!!! Have you cleaned the suction filter????? I think it will solve the problem.Talking about the age 2SDK starts in 86 so you can get a clue.

Tor

Any luck ?

Hey guys , I have the same problem !

Where is this filter located ? Is there any other possible faults ?

Cheers Tor

Susantha

Hiiiiiiiiiiii
Tor, If you have a SDK6, suction filter is located right side hydraulic tank.U can see the suction hose coming out just beneath the right tank..U gotta clean it with kerosene and refit...If U have a 2SDK6 there should be separate hydraulic tank..

Davo

Hi guys!!!!!!! Have you cleaned the suction filter????? I think it will solve the problem.Talking about the age 2SDK starts in 86 so you can get a clue.

Yes, Cleaning the suction filter worked great, I was able to steer properly, it has not done too much work since cleaning the suction filter (which is very hard to get to, what were they thinking??), but I can feel it is already needing another clean out, also Im not certain the oil Ive used so far is the best choice, it seems to loose a bit of drive power as the hydraulics get hotter after 1.5hrs run time. I have tried 'case' hydraulic oil, and was recommended to use havoline 10w30 which wasnt much better, I did read a post by a fellow aussie somewhere that 20w40 might be the go to withstand a bit more heat. Has anyone tried 20w40 for hydraulics in their machine ?