• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old time clearing

Brainzie

Heres a few not so old :) hope you don't mind Scrub :drinkup

Attachments

• Photo0100.jpg
    Photo0100.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Photo0101.jpg
    Photo0101.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Photo0102.jpg
    Photo0102.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Photo0104.jpg
    Photo0104.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Photo0103.jpg
    Photo0103.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,155

td25c

Always enjoy viewing photos of old and new of clearing methods . Cool pictures Scrub Puller . Is that a termite mound beside the chain in the first photo ?

Nice looking D6 Brainzie. Looks like it has a pin on stick rake on the blade possibly .

Talking about old time clearing I did get a chance to make few videos clearing with a K/G blade http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/sharpenkg001_zps217c0d22.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/finnishkg003_zps573253b7.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Got any close up pics of your rake Phil ??? you got me thinking abit ??? Clip on ? and how far below cutting edge do your tynes stick down. My scrub crushing I either just flattened with blade, or swept with the blade, leaves a few sticks behind, but super giant discs kill them !:)

Old Doug

The way you guys cleared land is very interesting to me i enjoy see the pictures. Thanks Scrub. Do you have any of the rollers they used on hill sides?

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks for the pics, guys. TD25C, really appreciate the vids. Reminded me of years ago riding next to my uncle on our '50s model HD16 cable blade. :)

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

D6 Merv. Be nice, I'm not that old. (big grin)

Brainzie. Thanks for the extra pictures . . . nice tractor by the way. Are they fence lines you're clearing?

td25c. Interested to see you actual sharpen those blades. It is a completely different concept as the last thing we want is to cut/break stuff off at ground level . . . I can see it works well in different species though. Yes, that is a little termite mound, they are very common in the red country.

Old Doug No worries mate, I'll see if I can find a few more and get them on this thread. The hillside rollers were a New Zealand thing (there is a thread on here about them) we mainly used the balls in Australia as far as I know.

Cheers.

Last edited:

td25c

Thanks for the pics, guys. TD25C, really appreciate the vids. Reminded me of years ago riding next to my uncle on our '50s model HD16 cable blade. :)

That's cool ACcrazy . My first dozer was a 1956 HD16AC cable blade . Loved that machine . We used the same K/G blade on it as you see in the video of the 16B. Not sure what year the blade is but it has both options for cable or hydraulic lift. I would like to know when Rome started building them . I'm guessing early 1950's . Don't know for sure .

Yeah Scrub Puller , I thought that was a termite mound . I understand they can get pretty big .

Yes I keep the cutting edge sharp . Usually sharpen it 3 times a day . Keep an air grinder on the dozer if we are very far from the truck . You can use the blade at or above the ground surface but most of the time I run it just under the surface on small scrub plowing it out . On bigger trees you drop the blade say 3 to 5 feet in front of the tree so it starts cutting the outer root system & begins to roll the tree over . If you notice in the video the trees still have the root wad on them . It works pretty good for my little one man operation:)

They sent a bunch of K/G blades to Vietnam in the late 1960's mounted on Cat D7E's for Engineers to use for clearing . They would run the blade slightly above the surface to cut the trees & leave roots & vegetation intact to prevent erosion. They also employed the chaining method but not with the steel ball . www.diehardengineer.com/Photovnrs.html

Found this article & thought it was interesting www.59thlandclearing.org/pages/history.htm

brucew

Scan komatsu 1.jpgScan komatsu 2.jpgJust thought I would add a couple of photos of me taken in early 70s raking on a Komatsu D50 dozer that I was working on.Back then I thought it was the real deal particularly as it was direct drive but you could operate it especially when you were raking pretty much like a powershift machine because of its foot clutch and inter connected steering clutch brake setup.