• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old School!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I don't think Americal ever changed the controls much for years on their cranes. They may have moved some levers here and there but they still did the same thing. Biggest thing is figuring what to set where to turn and walk straight. I would bet an operators manual from a 599 or 5299 or any of the smaller machines would give you enough information to figure it out. If I sat in one I would probably remember most of it but its been over 40 years.

Rob Gunn

Been there, done that. I had a old Bantum dragline years ago. It just takes practice. I never got good at it but I could make it dig. I do have a old timer friend that made his living for many years operating old draglines. It was amazing to watch him dig. I swear he could land the bucket within a foot of wherever he was aiming, and much of the time way beyond the actual reach of the crane. Basically he could cast the bucket the same as I could cast with a fishing pole. My hats off to the "Old guys"!

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
I broke in 1965 on a Koehring 205 dragline.
Looks a lot like that machine.
The only "air" on that rig was the engine fan.

Those were the days!
Tom

Attachments

• 1956 Koehring 205 001.jpg
    1956 Koehring 205 001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 225
  • 1956 Koehring 205 002.jpg
    1956 Koehring 205 002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

melbo

Thanks for the reply- this is certainly an attentive group. We'll be selling this crane when we get her running and we'll post a video of that. Cheers.