• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old Mack

muddobber

Occupation
welder,machinist,mechanic, underground coal mines
Any want to give a guess as to a good price for this truck. All I know is 1970, R600, Mack engine 200,000 miles give or take a few. every thing works as best as I can tell. comes with a eager beaver nine ton tag along. Never had a Mack.

Attachments

• 100_0556.jpg
    100_0556.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,119

cat320

Charter Member
I'm going to take a gues with the trailer maybe $ 7-8K . but i would just do a quick serch on truck paper first . she looks like a beauty a little paint and she will look real nice she sits real high like an RD and I like that long body does it have a quad box in there? I looked a an r-400 dump along time ago and it had the qud in it .

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hard to say, most truck of that size around here go for at least $5k depending on condition. That truck appears to be in decent shape and would look much better with a coat of paint. How are the tires, brakes, king pins, hydrolics, clutch, etc? Obviously how badly rotted is the trailer?

muddobber

Occupation
new king pins and brakes, hydraulics good, clutch good trailer has new tires and new oak floor this spring

cat320

Charter Member
looks like if you put a good coat of paint on the cab you will have a nice truck. alot of old macks still going strong up here.

muddobber

Occupation
Went ahead and bought truck and trailer. 4,500 for both so the detroit has been replaced by a Mack.

muddobber

Occupation
pics

Took a while to get more pictures been looking for a few parts and getting ready to paint. Looking for a 6speed 2 stick or air shift used can't afford rebuilt.

Attachments

• 100_0648.jpg
    100_0648.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 783
  • 100_0647.jpg
    100_0647.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 776
  • 100_0646.jpg
    100_0646.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 794

nedly05

Its gonna look great, I just know it:D I like the barn, what the dimensions? how high is the ceiling? did you build it yourself?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
looks like if you put a good coat of paint on the cab you will have a nice truck. alot of old macks still going strong up here.

I bet this truck is worth about $4,000. I'm a diehard R-model guy. Those trucks do not die, they will crawl up and over a mountain. Try and do that with a new truck and the rear end is blown to pieces. The new trucks have their perks with the comfort, and speed, but when push comes to shove those R-models will last a million times longer than a fancy electronic truck.

muddobber

Occupation
Building is 40x64x14ft doors 16ft ceiling.Built trusses and all concrete included.

muddobber

Occupation
new old Mack

Almost done. Been three months.

Attachments

• 100_0708.jpg
    100_0708.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 566

mudmaker

That project really makes me wish I had kept my old mack and put a dump box on it. Sold it with my ready mix plant last summer. Those are good old trucks. I am going to have to keep an eye out for one!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I have only had Mack's. If it's a Mack engine? 675, good for you they are bullet proof. It's probably a 5 speed? Was it a converted truck tractor, that OK.
I have a Mack 1976 RS 797 LST 375 hp V8 15 speed over drive, 44,000 rears, 15 ft dump bed and pulls a 22 ton tilt trailer.
If you take care of it & do the service you will never wear it out. I just do regular oil change and service each year. Good Luck!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Took a while to get more pictures been looking for a few parts and getting ready to paint. Looking for a 6speed 2 stick or air shift used can't afford rebuilt.

Are you going to replace your tranny with another Maxitorque? I would, those trannies are built like an anvil. Their triple countershaft design makes them a very strong transmission. ;)

muddobber

Occupation
Already put in a 2 stick six speed. I also rebuilt the compressor no more waiting for air to build up. Got this one almost done looks like a RD is next

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Nice job Mud :notworthy Glad you took off the cheesy addition front push bar. Now post some action pics:D