1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Hy-Hoe

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Dan83, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ilio

Ilio Member

Construction
    Do you have cables or straight linkage going to the spool? I've resolved some sticking issues, that give the illusion of a detent, by servicing these. Also, be it pedal control or lever, there are the bushings on the shaft below the cab floor, including lack of grease. A bur in the mating pieces of metal cam cause sticking. It's unlikely that it would be the plunger, or the spool, but possible. The bore is always full of oil & supported along its entire length. Haven't had mine apart for a while, but there is only one 'O' ring & a wiper at each end of the plunger in the spool body.
    I would also take the cap off at the rear & check the condition of the spring.
    There is an actual 'detent' on the back of the spool, that keeps (returns) the plunger to the 'not engaged/neutral' position, once you release the control lever from the back or forward position. You could have a 'sticking feeling' there, that makes you have to push or pull to overcome it. There are a few ball bearings in there also. This is the only place & the most common place, other than the ones I mentioned, that could cause the plunger to stick.
    If a parts breakdown picture from the parts book would help you I could post that.
    If there is damage there & you can't source the part, I may have one, but I'd check those things first.

2. hammerdwn20

hammerdwn20 Well-Known Member

pipeline
    guess it dont look too good inside? not rebuildable?

3. knckitdwn

knckitdwn Member

It has both types of linkages cable and solid rod. I went ahead and pulled the whole valve out. A hose came internally and a bit of wire baked itself up at the valve. I tried doing it in the machine but I made it worse driving the valve out. I took it to a friend who does hydraulics and he polished the high spot or of the valve. So I will be reinstalling it later this week. Hopefully it does not leak to much but we will see.

I was able to talk to a husco engineer and he sent me the print on the spool if anyone ever needs one made. That may be a winter project if this does not work out well.

DMiller likes this.
  4. hammerdwn20

pipeline
    well how'd you make out?

DMiller likes this.
  5. Rob Stute

Rob Stute New Member

6. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Here ya go … 1978 3300 HY- Hoe doin it's thing .

" Draining the Swamp " :)

Swamp is full of low & high areas . HY- Hoe excavator wades out in the muck & digs a channel through the red tape allowing the water to drain . LMAO ! :D

Ilio and RZucker like this.
  7. hammerdwn20

pipeline
    nice hope you keep posting videos of your machines! I subscribed

Ilio and td25c like this.
  8. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Thanks hammerdwn20 !

Swampsters are diligent but it's been awhile since they went up against a Hy-Hoe excavator .

Swamp is draining . LMAO! :D

Ilio, DMiller and RZucker like this.
  9. CatSeller

CatSeller New Member

If anyone in NW Ohio is looking for a HyHoe, most likely for parts, there is one about to head to the scrap yard in Fremont, Ohio. I didn't grab the model #, but its a later model one with the typical excavator style undercarriage. I did grab a pic, but I don't know that I can post yet. I'll try. PM me for more info. The boom is quite patchy...

Attached Files:

Alganon and td25c like this.
  10. hammerdwn20

pipeline
    maybe a model 5000

Ilio and Alganon like this.
  11. Ilio

Ilio Member

Construction
    Hard to tell by the pic, but, if it's a 5000, it'll have 2 upper carrier rollers (per side). The 6000 has 3.
    Looks like a 5000TT

12. knckitdwn

knckitdwn Member

Just finished it up. It's up and going. We filled the scratched and polished it down. It works for now. Since I had all the oil out I went ahead and resealed a leaking track motor and resealed that whole valve body. And wow that thing takes a bunch of oil. I was going 60 gallons would do it just to get by. I was not even close to the sight glad yet.