• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Dump Truck/Grain Truck Help

firecatf7333

I need some help on what old grain/ dump truck to get. I just bought a 1979 international grain dump truck with a 16' box. It has a gas engine and is underpowered. It also doesn't down shift into second, and seems to be horrible on gas. I bought the truck for 3k, and would like to sell it and get a diesel with more power.

Here is what i'm using truck for. I park it under a conveyor for firewood. I want at least a 16' box, or 18-20' would be better. The sides need to be about 7.5'. The load of firewood weighs 8-10 Ton, so i need the dump to lift this much weight.

What kind of gas mileage will i get? I'm assuming better with diesel as to gas. I'd like 8-10 mpg. I'm only going 15 miles with this truck, and don't want to spend much more than 5k.

I found a 91 international with a 360 diesel and a 6 speed fullr tranny. Motor rebuilt and 212k on chassis. Stake body so i'd have to modify dump to hold firewood. Price is 3k. Want to go look at it soon.

Thanks for your help