• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old cordless tools

jackleg

Occupation
Auxiliary Equipment Operator
What to do with the old cordless tools after the batteries won’t hold the charge anymore.

Usually, the cost of replacement batteries justify buying a new (and more powerful) cordless drill set.

I saw on the “Instructables” website someone cut the battery adapter off of an old cordless drill and attached jumper wires to power the drill from a truck battery.

It reminded me of a set my stepfather gave me when he upgraded his cordless tools. It is a duffel bag full of junk batteries, 2 drills, a sawsall, saber saw, flashlight, etc. A few of the batteries in this set had screws so the battery could be taken apart. I modified the original idea and gutted one of the batteries to attach the jumper wires so that all of the tools can be used without hacking them all up. I used a 12' long cord to give some freedom of movement.

The tools have plenty of power when used with my 12v marine battery even though they are "18v"

Obviously, they aren’t cordless when using this way (I wouldn’t want to drag a car battery around with me while hanging drywall) but there’s always something in my home shop with a battery in it and power tools could be useful out in the sticks somewhere- i.e. like deer camp.

2014-12-11 09.30.18.jpg

mitch504

I like it!

I have a Milwaukee drill that was the best you could buy 10-12 yrs ago that I'm real attached to. I also have a cordless grease gun that is way better than any portable air one I've bought. I just bought new batteries at "Batteries +" this year.

The thing I hate about cordless tools is unless you use them every few days, the batteries are always dead when you want it. I have fast chargers for both and an inverter hardwired into my truck to run them, but you have to wait, unless you leave a battery on charge all the time and kill it quickly.

My drill is 18v, so I'll have to think about that one. The grease gun is 14.4 volt so it would work perfectly. Might be just the thing for hitting a quick fitting after repairing something.

Thanks for the idea,:drinkup
Mitch