• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Cat thats been sitting?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With this I agree! But progress does not stand still. For example, in Russia, it is difficult to find a bulldozer (over 20 tons) older than 15-20 years.
Not wanting to give offence but based on personal experience of working in Russia (although it was some years ago) I would say that is probably a combination of poor quality machinery and poor maintenance.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
Not wanting to give offence but based on personal experience of working in Russia (although it was some years ago) I would say that is probably a combination of poor quality machinery and poor maintenance.
))) All OK! We do not particularly regret construction equipment. It is a fact.

DPete

Sanya, here's an example of an older D4 built in 1966 so it's 52 years old. I bought it for limited use ranch duty for a fraction of what a current or even 20 year old D4 would cost. Sometimes old equipment makes financial sense.

Attachments

• D4D sweeps fixed 004.JPG
    D4D sweeps fixed 004.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 75

Delmer

The economic justification for obsolete equipment does not come from moving more tons per manhour/fuel/repair$/shift than a new machine. It comes from extremely low: depreciation, fixed costs, complexity of repair.

The high costs associated with a new machine don't work for a remote farm that would have high costs to haul a rented machine in for a short project. Or intermittent use throughout the years. Or a homeowner/hobbyist with continual projects. Or a small contractor serving these type of customers.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Does the economic justification for buying new figure in the risk of heart attacks and strokes from seeing repair bills out of warranty, or worry about missing deadlines because of breakdowns at the worst possible time?

td25c

Does the economic justification for buying new figure in the risk of heart attacks and strokes from seeing repair bills out of warranty, or worry about missing deadlines because of breakdowns at the worst possible time?

Yes ... Old school paid for iron that a feller can fix on a job site looks better all the time .

We rented a 2016 model New Holland rubber track CTL on a job just to try out the future .

Pretty nice machine until the hydro functions locked up all the sudden from some malfunction ?

Dealer sent a wrench out & he said it was due to dirt & mud getting in to the control panel under the seat ....

Sorry fellers ..... I aint interested in dropping 50 grand on a piece of crap that shuts down with a little dirt under the seat .

Good lord ...... Drop a man on the moon in 1969 and cant build an excavating machine today that cant handle a little dirt & mud .... WTF !

Sticking with the old iron :D.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
Men! I congratulate the holiday! Today we celebrate the end date of WW2. On the topic - I talk mainly with gold, diamond miners and large enterprises for the extraction of coal and stone. Places where heavy conditions for machinery. They say if the bulldozer has worked on depreciation and its further work requires costs, it is easier to sell or write off and buy a new one. An old construction machine has long been in repair, every day a lot of money is worth repairing. With Chinese technology the situation is this - buy 3 bulldozers instead of 2. One donor.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
End of the war in Europe. I had relatives who fought in the East who always seem to be forgotten.
sorry, in Europe. Incorrectly expressed. we celebrate this day. for us it is of great importance.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yes ... Old school paid for iron that a feller can fix on a job site looks better all the time .

We rented a 2016 model New Holland rubber track CTL on a job just to try out the future .

Pretty nice machine until the hydro functions locked up all the sudden from some malfunction ?

Dealer sent a wrench out & he said it was due to dirt & mud getting in to the control panel under the seat ....

Sorry fellers ..... I aint interested in dropping 50 grand on a piece of crap that shuts down with a little dirt under the seat .

Good lord ...... Drop a man on the moon in 1969 and cant build an excavating machine today that cant handle a little dirt & mud .... WTF !

Sticking with the old iron :D.
You need something like the 1989 Case 1845C that they had at the company I worked for,nothing high tech about it. Sure it would snap a drive chain every so often and maybe a hub bearing too. But after 26 years of doing clean up work in the stone quarry it was still working. Majority of breakdowns were operator inflicted, not because some little sensor got some mud splashed on it!

Now I can agree there is a place for all this modern technology when you can justify having a well trained staff with all the tools to trouble shoot problems, but if I was in need of a small front end loader on a farm I would much rather have an old 966C Cat than a 980K Cat with more computers in it than the rocket that went to the moon!

td25c

You need something like the 1989 Case 1845C that they had at the company I worked for,nothing high tech about it.

Good call Ken ! We run a late 1990's Deere 8875 skid with over tire tracks with backhoe attachment .

Been a pretty good machine over the years and good earner . Going to keep it for the duration .

Funny part of the story on the New Holland CTL rental was we finished the job with a Ford 545 skip loader .

Those old 545's kick ass & don't complain on a job site . :)100_3373[1].jpg

brianscathouse

Occupation
Auto repair shop owner/mechanic
Depending on what you are doing with equipment, old sometimes makes better sense moneywise. I am developing my own property for subdividing later for retirement and have acquired over the years all the machinery to do everything myself. Newest piece is a 2010 JD 318 skidsteer(too many electronics issues) and oldest is 1974 D8H dozer(simple and big). As well as graders, excavators, loader and packers. The amount of work they have already done for me is at least or greater than what I paid for them and I can still sell them for same or more when finished. Besides they still have lots more to accomplish. Buying new in this situation makes 0 economic sense. Depreciation alone would kill it. Weekend warrior, fair weather operator here. Working machine for a living billing out hours everyday, that is a different story. Newer, faster, more comfortable machines make sense, that being said, new versions of my older iron with fewer wires would probably make a lot of contractors very happy as well.