• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old CAT machineries brochures

Johnny Ray

Good day everyone, I am a new member here. I am hoping to contribute to this forum. I recently started a new job at construction company where I am a intern. I work as a mechanic assistant and really enjoy it so far. So the construction company I work for uses which looked like to be a little older construction machines, mostly from the brand CAT. It really surprised me how effective these machines are still. So I was wondering if anyone maybe has brochures or something about little older CAT machinery. I don't like the modern machines with all of their electronics. So it might be interesting to see what older CAT equipment there was. I don't know how CAT advertised but it would be cool to see what older CAT machinery there was.
Thanks
Johnny

Spoke

Hi there, welcome aboard. That's a good question you have there I don't know much about the old CAT equipment. I only have a old Cat dozer and loader. Hopefully someone with more info will pop up.

Truck Shop

Good day everyone, I am a new member here. I am hoping to contribute to this forum. I recently started a new job at construction company where I am a intern. I work as a mechanic assistant and really enjoy it so far. So the construction company I work for uses which looked like to be a little older construction machines, mostly from the brand CAT. It really surprised me how effective these machines are still. So I was wondering if anyone maybe has brochures or something about little older CAT machinery. I don't like the modern machines with all of their electronics. So it might be interesting to see what older CAT equipment there was. I don't know how CAT advertised but it would be cool to see what older CAT machinery there was.
Thanks
Johnny
Look under forum Old Iron, Crawlers I Photo'd for photos and some info and old brochures.

Welcome to HEF.

hseII

Thanks
Johnny
eBay has quiet a lot of the older brochures.

I’ve purchased quiet a few in order to compare them against other pieces.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Italian MMT Forum has a repository of sales brochures and photos that is unparalleled to any other site around.
The album builder, Alberto Cunto (don't laugh, that's a genuine Italian surname, and it's pronounced "Coon-toe" has collected thousands of sales brochures and photos of nearly every type and make of equipment, that has ever been built.

The size of his collection is breathtaking and you can spend hours perusing it, looking at all the wondrous products so many manufacturers made.

Go to the LH menu where it says "MMT Albums", click on "The History of MMT's" - which then opens a sub-menu divided into eras such as - "Historical MMT's - before 1950", Historical MMT's - the 1950's", Historical MMT's - the 1960's", and so on, to the 2000's.

There's even a folder for historical photos and brochures, with date unknown.

Many photos and some brochures are from Forum contributors, and as the site is Italian-based, you will find quite a few Italian words in descriptions that need translation.

There is an emphasis on European machinery on the website, but the American and other countries manufacturers are not forgotten. The albums are truly a great data repository.
The only drawback with the album is a general lack of text information with the photos. Some of the brochures provide information in their text.

chidog

The Leverton information, how do those prices interchange to US $ back in those days?
Nice to see how inflated used worn out junk is now compared to brand new.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
So this is the part I find fascinating; If I am reading correct, in 1974 a brand new D8 was 33,000 British Pounds. I understand Nige is saying that multiplying that by 2.35 will convert to USD, which is about $77,500. Now if you go to usinflationcalculator.com, $77,500 1974 dollars would be $474,000 today. (Just stop and think about that)

But a new D8 today is over a million dollars . . .

In terms of capacity, what does a D8H compare to in modern equipment?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That is not a fair comparison IMHO. A D8H back in the 1970s had an engine with 270 BHP nett, a current model D8T has somewhere around 365 BHP, a third more.

The current D7 is rated at 265 BHP nett, and likely will do more work than a D8H while costing less to operate in both fuel and parts. How much does a D7 cost these days.?

chidog

Funny, there are some folks that want what new price was for those machines now.
Years ago anything over 25 years old was considered an antique.
So is a 50 year old machine worth what everyone seems to think they are? Sorry to change the topic from literature. And how many here know all the age related, metal fatigue and stress caused problem areas in them? Its a huge gamble to pay top dollar for one I say.
Its like make your millions off of it, then expect to get back what you paid for it.
It sure doesn't work that way with your car, didn't till covid anyway.

nicky 68a

I sold the last 2 of my 1974 D8H 68A tractors and boxes in 2018 for more than they cost new.They were in good condition though and are still working every summer.

nicky 68a

So this is the part I find fascinating; If I am reading correct, in 1974 a brand new D8 was 33,000 British Pounds. I understand Nige is saying that multiplying that by 2.35 will convert to USD, which is about $77,500. Now if you go to usinflationcalculator.com, $77,500 1974 dollars would be $474,000 today. (Just stop and think about that)

But a new D8 today is over a million dollars . . .

In terms of capacity, what does a D8H compare to in modern equipment?
My current D8T will massively outperform my D8H’s in every way.
Here in the UK we still have a surprising amount of D8H/K tractors pulling hydraulic and cable scrapers and only a handful of D8N/R tractors pulling boxes.My thoughts are that you really can’t beat an old manual or powershift D8 for doing that type of work.
A couple of contractors have very smart new D7E tractors pulling hydraulic 463’s,but they aren’t on social media.
As for towed scrapers in general,those Challanger type units with K-Tec scrapers are fantastic performers