• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old bottles and stuff you find?

wnydirtguy

I am working on a job right now that we are finding old bottles and other stuff that got buried. Some of the guys think it is funny I pick them up and take them home. I am wondering how many others out there do the same thing. I think it is cool to find old stuff buried no matter what it is.

DPete

Found alot of indian bowls ( made from rocks) etc. mostly from the 70's early 80's. Lots of bottles from their shallow graves, a few indian skeletons. Have not found anything of interest for several years now.

Autocar

I drag just about everything home :) Old bottles,bent up old spoons forks and fnives. Found a old rusty handgun at a base of a hickory tree once just uncovered by years of eroison. Indian artifacts you name it I love to hunt for anything. On a two and half month road trip in 2001 I panned for gold all across Alaska and Canada found some gold but for sure the water is a cold in the creeks !:eek:

rshackleford

we found an entire tea set. tea pot, cups, saucers. came right out of the bucket into the spoil pile and they all survived. nothing broken.

danregan

Occupation
Contractor
I found an old civil war era cannon ball in some spoils that came out of boston, from the old ocaen floor. I found a message in a bottle in the stone of an old leaching pit, from a couple hippies in the 60s. I only bring home interesting bottles nr ones that still have the labels on them.

DK_stihl

bottles

I found a bunch of old blue and clear bottles while I was doing an area bed. It was pretty neat. I didn't keep any but the customer did.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I don't know what it is about glass bottles that lets them survive heavy equipment. I have found whiskey bottles grading a road with a d-5. The last glass that I found was a 70's pepsi bottle in mint condition as I was digging out stumps with my excavator. I can kinda see how an excavator would be easier on the glass but for something that breaks when you drop it on the kitchen floor, you would thing all you would find are pieces...

Wolf

indian skeletons?

Found alot of indian bowls ( made from rocks) etc. mostly from the 70's early 80's. Lots of bottles from their shallow graves, a few indian skeletons. Have not found anything of interest for several years now.

What did you do with the indian skeletons that you found? that is pretty cool. where in california did you find the indian skeletons? how old were they?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I have a few pieces of "treasure" found at job sites. This is a plow blade(?) I came across doing a Gabion job South of Seattle. It say's "Oliver 40,C".

Funny thing with bottles, if you find a lot in one spot, you've probably found the site of an old outhouse.

Attachments

• plowW.jpg
    plowW.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,613

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I must have over 300 bottles I've found over the years,some I'm sure are worth a lot of money,especially the old green and brown ones I've been told.I have an olf high school friend who is the pres.of the area's bottle club--he's always asking me to tell him when I hit another mother lode of them.----NO WAY JOSE--he'd hold up my job.Like someone said,many times you will find them and ashes in abandoned outhouses when they were reaching the end of their life.For some reason I usually find them in the cities by me by the Hudson River.Regarding human bones,in the eyes of the law,you are required to contact the authorities ASAP,no matter how old or insignificant you might think they are.

stuart olson

we did a structure at the site of an old landfill thats now a suburb, once we got about 4 feet down the ground was 50% glass made a great sound as it tinkled into the spoil, grabbed a couple of good bottles out of that job at lunch

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Back in the 1960's we were demolishing old houses and apartments in SF, CA and would find lots of bottles from the 1800's. I had a big collection, when I moved to Oregon left them with a second hand store. Non of them ever sold. They wanted me to come get them but I didn't think it was a good idea.

rabbit

Occupation
Old bottles and Stuff

rabbit if I where close by I go get them for you. I'm glad to see may others also enjoy collecting small pieces of the past.

Too Late! That was 40 years ago. Guess you'll have to look for your own. :)

Where we found them was around the excavations for foundations and in old outhouse digs.

esobofh

Occupation
Senior Business Analyst
A while back my father was doing an excavation downtown Vancouver, BC., excavating a deep hole for a new high rise building. All of the material being removed was taken about 50km away to a golf course. While digging he saw somehting shiny and jumped off the machine to check it out - it was a 50s style salt shaker from a diner or similar. It was in beautiful shape so he kept it. A week or so later as the excavation progressed they had my dad shift locations and he began working at the golf course moving the fill material around. A week into that operation again, he spotted something shiny and jumped off the machine to check it - it was the pepper shaker to complete the set! Both in beautiful condition he cleaned them up, loaded them with salt and pepper and he has them on his kitchen table to this day!

rabbit

Occupation
A while back my father was doing an excavation downtown Vancouver, BC., excavating a deep hole for a new high rise building. All of the material being removed was taken about 50km away to a golf course. While digging he saw somehting shiny and jumped off the machine to check it out - it was a 50s style salt shaker from a diner or similar. It was in beautiful shape so he kept it. A week or so later as the excavation progressed they had my dad shift locations and he began working at the golf course moving the fill material around. A week into that operation again, he spotted something shiny and jumped off the machine to check it - it was the pepper shaker to complete the set! Both in beautiful condition he cleaned them up, loaded them with salt and pepper and he has them on his kitchen table to this day!

Good one :)