• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old 410B transmission slow to engage/"slipping "

Budwin

I have a early 410 B, square cab, flat windshield, no plastic. Having issues with my transmission "slipping ". Loader/hoe operating great, but literally from one startup to the next transmission is very slow to engage in any gear or direction. Will move, eventually, but very slow and does not want to climb the slightest grade. Engine does not struggle, attempt to stall like it is overloaded etc. RPMS do not change. New fluid a week or so before issues, no leaks,????
New to forum, hello everyone, have already read some great stuff, appreciate any/all comments. Very mechanical and have manuals. Thanks

showrguy

I have a early 410 B, square cab, flat windshield, no plastic. Having issues with my transmission "slipping ". Loader/hoe operating great, but literally from one startup to the next transmission is very slow to engage in any gear or direction. Will move, eventually, but very slow and does not want to climb the slightest grade. Engine does not struggle, attempt to stall like it is overloaded etc. RPMS do not change. New fluid a week or so before issues, no leaks,????
New to forum, hello everyone, have already read some great stuff, appreciate any/all comments. Very mechanical and have manuals. Thanks
Try hooking the clutch pedal with your toe and pull up next time you’re in it, and report back..

Budwin

Thanks for the quick response. I have been under the machine and checked all linkages and adjusted the clutch both ways checking it as I did each small adjustment. Seemed fine from the start, but thought I would play with it in hopes to get lucky. Filters are approximately a year old, both hydraulic and transmission, just "changed fluid " for the most part due to a hose replacement and was operating fine one day, next day these issues. I don't believe that the transmission/ clutch etc went bad overnight and that is why I'm stumped. BTW, the hose replacement and gallons of fluid was weeks prior to the development of my new issues. I maintain it well and is just a "boy toy " to tear shi! up and move dirt around. I do not abuse it, at all. Checked for bent, or damaged linkage in case I ran over something that kicked up underneath without my noticing...nothing. She is clean as a whistle underneath and have no leaks.
Thinking that a valve in system stuck, brake not releasing etc etc . Don't have gauges so haven't gotten any further than checking for damage, clutch adjustment, brakes, leaks etc.
Thinking I will drain fluid again and replace filters just to check for debris incase something did let loose just before I parked it????
Then buy some gauges and chase the rabbit. Any other ideas/suggestions are always appreciated and welcome. Thanks again, Bud

Steve Austin

showrguy is requesting that you perform a very simple test here it will tell us a lot.
Please provide machine Serial Number so we can send correct diagrams to guide you as to what we want you to inspect they are many serial number breaks on these and other machines with some changes at each break.

Budwin

Try hooking the clutch pedal with your toe and pull up next time you’re in it, and report back..
Pedal is all the way up, against floor. As I stated before, I did do incremental adjustments with the clutch linkage ,both ways, even though the clutch was all the way up against floor to start with. I was out on motorcycle buy new filters and missed your appreciated responses.
PS- have partially rebuild engine, couple cylinders etc shortly after I purchased it 4-5 years ago and had just replaced the Hydraulic pump drive assembly a couple days ago. First diesel and "heavy equipment I have worked on. I was not having issues with the hydraulic pump or attachments, just caught the damaged pump drive components and broken bolts ect when going over machine due to these issues. I didn't mention replacing the pump drive because I didn't believe it was related to my drive issues, especially when I was not having hoe or loader issues. Maybe it could be related since they us the same fluid and are tied.??

Steve Austin

If front loader and backhoe and steering is all working well, I don't see any relation.
I will post some checks later tonight with pictures.
Thanks for the SR# that puts us on right path.

Budwin

I drained the system and used a magnet, found nothing. I did find something kinda strange, to myself anyway. Just for giggles, even though fluid "looked " great and I found no metal shavings etc, I filled a spray bottle with diesel and sprayed the hydraulic and transmission filters and then used compressed air on them,,,, the trans filter "fluid " that came out was barely discolored, but the hydraulic filter "fluid " was black as heck!!! I did this to both a couple times and the hydraulic filter "fluid " continued to be very "dirty" !!! How can this be possible? I changed both filters at the same time, as usual, last year. ???
Does this mean that the fluid was not "mixing " even though both pumps use the same oil . Yes, again confused. Love to learn new things by determining the how's and why's. Enough for today.
I did not pull the screen yet and that may tell me WTH is going on. Thanks a bunch, Bud

Steve Austin

Sorry didn’t get back last night got tied up and have Doctors appointment this morning.
Your hydraulic filter has a lot more volume of oil going through it than transmission filter. The black residue you see may be coming from lining on your brake disks a machine this old the disks linings are probably deteriorating.
Run a magnet through your drained oil and see if any fine grind metal clings to magnet and report results. I will get a diagram to you later to have you check one item get is very easy to miss.
To check clutch apply pressure a 300 PSI gauge will give you a more accurate reading.
If I remember correctly the older models run around 150 PSI and Deere increase it to around 175PSI on later models.

Steve Austin

Pay close attention to roll pin 10 it will look good and can still be worn or broke.
This will lower clutch apply pressure.
Look under machine and move clutch pedal shaft 12 and bell rank should move together no play. I have found it best to put vice grips on 12 hold clutch pedal stationary and check for play sometime roll pin breaks jagged not even it will hang enough to look good.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Budwin

Thank you so much for the continued suggestions. Sorry for not responding earlier, as I had stated, I had a extensive shoulder surgery last Friday and this is actually the first I have been out of bed. Will let you know what I get with the pressure checking and I will triple check the linkage/roll pin etc.
I know it's a little disheartening when you are trying to help someone and you either get slow or no return responses.
Again, I'm sorry and appreciate you and this site more than you know. Was attempting to find my issues with hoe prior to surgery and didn't get that lucky. Will let you know when back at it and share all experiences as to hopefully help others. Bud