• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil in rear deferential Ford 555

tom2536

I just replaced leaking rubber seal for the brake rod on my 79 555 and couldn't find a way to check the fluid level. Is there a plug to remove somewhere to show the level of the fluid? and do I use regular hydraulic fluid. I think I saw the one for the transmission on the left side halfway up. Thanks Tom

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
No not hydraulic oil you need to use a Universal trans/hydraulic oil that meets Fords 134D spec,Walmart has it or tractor supply would be the cheapest places.

you would use that type oil in every sump but the engine

was it difficult to replace that? mine may need replacing also.

tom2536

Daman, not to hard, cotter pin was hard to get to because the pin wouldn't turn and parts were rusty but after I got it disconnected I hammered a awl under the lip of the seal and got it out enough to get a screwdriver under the lip and pried it out and I hammered the new one it, a little tricky but not to bad but drain a couple of gallons of oil out before you start. don't ask how I know that . Walmart by me don't carry that kind of stuff, remember I'm in NJ Thanks Tom

daman

Occupation
Thanks tom so nothing needed removal from the read end just simple prying out the seal from the out side huh?

check TSC or any farm type store or even your auto parts store.

probably 6 gals you'll need if empty.

daman

Occupation
slide off shaft then new one slide on and tap in place?

tom2536

You got it. I'm in the process of replacing a kingpin now, I got the old one out today and will try to put the new one in tomorrow. Is Bad Ax actually the name of your town? Tom