• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OFC vs. CCA wire?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In North America, the kitchen, laundry, garage, outdoor outlets would remain 12Cu/10Al.

Overhead lighting circuits could get smaller.

Not sure what is going to happen with general house outlets, if anything.

Delmer

How many of those other countries are 220V?

In spite of those lower amperage led lights, toasters, waffle irons, and hair dryers aren't getting any less powerful (yet).
Nearly all of them, but that doesn't make 18g wire on a 30a breaker any safer. I'm all for 16 or 18 gauge lighting circuits, just properly protected at 10a or whatever.

We're not building more electrically demanding houses, or using more appliances. If it wasn't for "green" pushing to get rid of gas, then 200a services would be looking pretty ridiculous. Even with all electric houses, with the smart grid that's going to be required to maintain reliability (of sorts), 100a will be more than enough, when the water heater heat pump talks to the fridge and dishwasher to manage use.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I disagree slightly, if more electric is mandated, services are going to exceed 200 amps, but that is not going to affect the individual Romex circuits for lights and outlets. The heat pump, water heater, cook stove etc. are going to continue to be the same aluminum most are running right now.

One strange deal is car chargers, many of them specifically require copper for no discernable reason although I expect that will change with more competition.

Welder Dave

There was a time, a very short time, they were selling aluminum welding cable. Makes absolutely no sense at all. You probably had to buy 2 sizes bigger and better have a remote to keep turning your heat up as it got hot.