• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oe3 crane rental probable strike vote tomorrow.

basspro

Don't know if there is any other local 3 crane rental hands on here, but this week the crane owners made their last best offer, so tomorrow July 1st at 8:am at the iron workers hall in cordelia is the vote. You must bring your union card to vote, and are urged to bring families also. This is no bs guys. You must make every effort to attend, if you cannot attend, you must not work! Last week we shut down all cranes but 3 in the bay area...and the names of those operators were made known, don't be one of those names. This is our 1 best shot to be paid what we are deserving of. It is a travesty that only laborers and Iron workers are paid less. There are 400 rental hands in local 3. Last week we had over 200 of us, we need as close to all 400 as humanly possible. Either way you vote is acceptable, but we need us ALL there.

crane operator

I've worked on both sides, union and non union. Just to save the moderators some trouble : The rules here are no bashing one way or the other, just remember that.

I enjoy this forum and the good helpful advice and fun we have. And a happy 4th to everyone, remember freedom isn't free. Our freedom to do what we want to, where we want to, was begun by patriots, and bought at a dear price, that we still pay today.

lantraxco

The ass is in the air, the boom is humming like a banjo and the frictions are smokin' up the house... the oiler's hollerin' "sell it, sell it!" from somewhere back in the draw-works, so I sold.... grabbed my lunch bucket and headed for the truck, over my shoulder I reminded the engineer "I *told* you that pick was off the chart, don't care what yer stupid slide rule says!"

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I worked for a foreman one time who was a traveler out of one of the California locals, 3 or 12, I don't remember his name. I was a young guy breaking into the trade running a roller. He let me have some seat time on the other machines. I think because he was an operator himself he could tell I had the desire to learn, and that I was willing to work at it. It wasn't a long job but that little experience meant a lot to me then, the laborer foremen around here seemed to hate operators, and were not really willing to give a new operator a shot. I always appreciated him giving me a chance. I wish you 3 guys good luck!

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've been on both sides myself. Union now. I think the issues are regional to a degree. Around here it's not bad at all. We get what's fair (or better depending on employer) and don't have many issues other than the stink they stir over right to work. Go up to KC or St. Louis and she's a whole nother kettle of fish. I was on a job and had my Klein pliers on my hip. I was told to remove them as I wasn't supposed to have them based on my trade....I smiled and said no problem. Part of me wanted the feller to define my "trade" lol.

Not knowing the details out west I couldn't even begin to hazard a judgment as to it being good or bad. I wish them luck in their persuit of fair.

Be safe this 4th! Don't forget why we celebrate it!

td25c

I was on a job and had my Klein pliers on my hip. I was told to remove them as I wasn't supposed to have them based on my trade....I smiled and said no problem. Part of me wanted the feller to define my "trade" lol.

Yeah Junkyard . Life is to short to be putting up with that nonsense .

Sometimes a simple reply like " Go to hell " is in order .
I would not put up with that stuff bro .

You tell that cat to take a hike next time it happens !

Its all a big bluff . Don't put up with it .;)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I was new to the union when that happened. Now I've learned who I can tell where to stick what :)

td25c

Good man Junkyard !:)

Most of it is separating real issues from all the " Jive Talkin " .:D

LOL !

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I didn't see you as a disco kinda guy TD. Still got your big shoes and three piece suit?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
If your wages are not good enough I suggest take it up with your boss or find another gig, there are plenty of places you could work I am sure.
I looked up your profile on the other forum, it says "Truck Driver/Mechanic". If you think you're so much better than the crane operators, why don't you learn how to run a rig, pass the written and operating tests to get your certs and your crane license, and you run a crane? And we'll see how THAT goes. I don't think you will, it's easier to throw stones from behind a computer.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I looked up your profile on the other forum, it says "Truck Driver/Mechanic". If you think you're so much better than the crane operators, why don't you learn how to run a rig, pass the written and operating tests to get your certs and your crane license, and you run a crane? And we'll see how THAT goes. I don't think you will, it's easier to throw stones from behind a computer.
I've done all that and I'm a master carpenter. I don't work for anyone I don't like or won't pay my rate and I'm never out of work. I've never let anyone else fight my fights

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok folks, to be clear, I allowed this thread to remain here because in context it wasn't really promoting union labor or discarding it, rather, its context is about an event pertinent to a particular local that may be of interest to others in the trade. Myself, I have no dog in that fight, therefore, it's really none of my business, but it matters to them. Again...if this thread degrades to a pi$$ing match (like pretty much always) I'll boot this thread quicker than you can whip your driver license out of your wallet. Keep it on track here please.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It seems perfectly fair to withdraw your labour, but to threaten other people who want/need to work seems out of order.
Graham

I've done all that and I'm a master carpenter. I don't work for anyone I don't like or won't pay my rate and I'm never out of work. I've never let anyone else fight my fights

You guys said it exactly. If workers want to form an association and withdraw your labor en masse that's fine too. Some owners might like having only one entity to negotiate with. But threatening others not part of the association is outside of the rights of any person or association and is infringing on the rights of the other.

For the record my profile is probably 10 years out of date and I don't care. This ain't facebook. We all hold different and valuable licenses and certs as do I.

td25c

I didn't see you as a disco kinda guy TD. Still got your big shoes and three piece suit?
LOL Tradesman , good one ! :D
It was the mid 1970's .
Went in the early 1970's running a bowl hair cut with the flower pants & and then the disco took over . Had to learn all the new songs & moves . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2598&viewfull=1#post2598
Gotta roll with the times to be in style man :)

Or not ....... Fired up the 1953 Insley truck crane this afternoon . Gonna rig the dragline bucket to dip out a pond for a customer .
Excavator wont reach it all & don't want to cut the dam open .

Funny part about that Insley crane is the radio only plays that old Doo - wop music from the 1950's :)