• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Odd experience trying to purchase a trailer

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
I found a trailer on CL. I drive a few hours to see the trailer. Old trailer, but good bones--needs a new deck and some paint.

We talked about me buying it. The guy keeps delaying going to the notary. First it was "I don't think we need a notary for me to to sell the trailer to you"--it was titled in Virginia. I, and the trailer, are in North Carolina. I said I would be more comfortable doing this with a notary to make sure everything is correct. I said notarys are available at FedEx and UPS stores in town. There is a UPS store 15 minutes away.

More small talk. A couple hours go by chatting. Nice guy.

Finally I asked about the title. He said he had it, but that a friend was keeping it for him in a safe. He said he would call his friend to get it. He got on the phone and asked his friend to come home and get the title for him. I understand. I keep my titles in my safe.

He then mentioned the he did not know if the trailer was titled in his name or in the name of his corporation. I get it. I have things I bought with company money; it gets confusing.

A half an hour goes by chatting and waiting. He then asks about writing up a bill of sale. I got out a piece of paper and asked again about the title. He then said he would call the friend to bring the title. It was as if he never actually called the guy in the first place to come home to get the title. I think he fake called the guy on the phone initially. It was strange.

Next, he says that his friend is a car dealer and we don't need a notary; we can transfer the paperwork without a notary.

The guy with the title never shows up. I said I needed to eat and left.

After thinking about it, it looks like the guy was just wasting my day with small talk. And, by the time we got done chatting all the notaries were close to closing.

After thinking about it and looking at the NCDMV website, I texted him and said I would only give him money at the license plate agency. I said I now required that the license plate agency do all the paperwork at their office.

He called and wanted to talk about it. I got angry. I again stated that we had to do all paperwork and exchange money at the license plate agent.

He then wanted me to explain why I was angry. I said we would meet at the license plate agency or he could keep his trailer.

This guy just wasted the entire day. We could have gone 15 minutes down the road and gotten the deal done within 5 minutes. And, I'm hanging out with thousands of dollars of cash on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Your thoughts.

Last edited:

skyking1

yes he did not have a title. In Washington right now, there is a 6~8 week wait to get a home built trailer inspected at the state patrol, or any other out-of-state transfer that might need a DMV inspection. It is nuts and the titled trailers are getting a premium.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Title? Wazza title? My trailer has a title, it's "Mister trailer."
If you would have given the fellow money, more than likely you would get pulled over for a trailer stolen 20 years ago. At leaast that is how my luck runs.

BTW skyking1; things must have gotten better. A year ago almost to the day, I got my homebuilt trailer inspected and tagged after waiting 3 months and driving from South Seattle down to Chehalis. Yup, it's crazy.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
That guy was the typical Craigslist bullshi**er.
Zero chance of him having a title and he was stalling, hoping you would get tired of waiting and just buy the trailer.
Good call ... too bad the entire day was wasted