• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Occasional use

JBrady

I would. It is my experience that equipment deteriorates faster when not used. I don't use my backhoe all that often either, it is just for use around the ranch. I try to start it up and let it run for 5-10 mins each week, usually moving all the hyd functions on the loader and hoe. I am also on a volunteer fire department and we start all the trucks, pumps, blowers, etc. every week to ensure they are ready to go when needed.

cosmaar1

I have a case 580K that only gets used every couple months.Should it be started more frequently to benefit the integrity of the machine.It’s stored under roof and the battery gets charged twice a month.
Whatever you do, make sure you put fuel treatment in there or you will learn the hard way that I did!! 5 months later and I’m still battling fuel algae!!!!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My hoe sits more than it works. I keep a solar battery maintainer on it. I fuel from a storage tank that gets treated when filled.

I don't start it unless I plan to work it. No problems from sitting yet.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A car, truck, boat, HE - anything with an engine and fluids needs to be ran on a regular basis to extend its life IMO. As others have said get it up to operating temp, go thru the paces, keep the fluids topped off including a full fuel tank and use diesel additive to keep algae at bay.

Even a house that is not lived in will deteriorate over time regardless whether the HVAC is kept on.

cosmaar1

Tinkerer

Absolutely use the above mentioned additives.
I don't know why you are adding ATF to your diesel fuel.
Is there a reason ? How much do you add to say 30 gallons.
It certainly can't help the cetane rating of the fuel, especially if you are starting the engine in low winter temperatures.

Robert Weer

Tinkerer I started using ATF in the fuel on are farm in the 90’s. At that time off road hi sulfur was phased out and and we had to use ultra low sulfur diesel.At that time our fuel supplier suggested using ATF they told us it would improve the lubrisity.We haven’t had problems with pumps or injectors since.I use about 2 cups per 25 gal.