• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Northwest newbie with murphy diesel needing some help

mwm367

Hey Guys! i'm new to the world of heavy equipment. I recently inherited some equipment from my uncle who passed away last year. I know this northwest crane he had works but he hadn't moved it in several years. It's a northwest 25 dragline with a murphy 4 cyl diesel, MP11. His friend said he would watch my uncle start it about twice a year and that was it. I would like to start it up and move it out of the woods and maybe eventually sell it. I have many questions but I will start with the batteries. How many?, what size?, and how to hook up(series or parallel)?. I have found a northwest parts manual in his shop but it's only for parts identification. I contacted Murphy and they want 130.00 for an engine manual. I'm not cheap but I think that's a tad steep. I watched a video on youtube of a guy starting one and I see there is a starting process of fuel prime, oil pressure prime, etc. I sure don't want to do something stupid and ruin it it 5 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
....mike

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Mike,

Look on eBay, there are Murphy Engine Manuals and Northwest Manuals for sale. The starting system is 24 volts, use 4 ea. 6 volt batteries or 2 ea. 12 volt batteries in series.

Murphy diesels will NOT allow the govenor to open up if they are low on oil, so check the engine oil and fill it to the full mark first.

Nothwests love grease and oil, oil all the linkages you can find and hunt for the grease fittings there a a lot of them.

For adjustments and advise I recomend calling Willie Tedesco, he is the fellow on YouTube running the 80-D backhoe, very nice and is the Northwest God,
860-928-0343. He owns a dozen Northwest's.

Bob