• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No Spark from Magneto D6-9U

BigYellowDozer

So far from spinning the newly freed flywheel, I'm unable to see any spark being generated at the spark plugs.

I've gone as far as cleaning off contacts externally where the wires meet the plugs, installing new Spark Plugs, where the contacts meet the mag switch, to the external post on the Magneto Body, and opening up the Magneto and cleaning the contacts close to the cap that were accessible (w/o having to dive deep into the rest of the Magneto).

Is there anything that would be common to cause these to stop working?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a spark is essential for the engine to begin the combustion process and continue to spark at each cycle of combustion?

Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_140057603.jpg
    IMG_20231005_140057603.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20231005_140110313.jpg
    IMG_20231005_140110313.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20231005_140142632_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231005_140142632_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Has the mag been off the dozer since the pony motor last run ? What I want to know is the mag put on the right mark . I have the other type of mag supplied and find it can be on wrong but able to corrected by swapping leads on the cap . My rotors have leaked and to field fix I've taken the roto off , removed the little spring and covered the mag shaft with insulation tape then placed the cap back on , works for awhile till the tape wears through . I replace the condenser with Lucus parts , same goes for the points , just have to be modified to fit . Don't dump anything .

BigYellowDozer

Has the mag been off the dozer since the pony motor last run ? What I want to know is the mag put on the right mark . I have the other type of mag supplied and find it can be on wrong but able to corrected by swapping leads on the cap . My rotors have leaked and to field fix I've taken the roto off , removed the little spring and covered the mag shaft with insulation tape then placed the cap back on , works for awhile till the tape wears through . I replace the condenser with Lucus parts , same goes for the points , just have to be modified to fit . Don't dump anything .
The Mag has not been removed since it last ran (This last started back around 2000/2001) After cleaning the contacts externally with no change in results, I removed the mag from the machine today to clean off the contacts near the cap (I guess that would count being removed since it last ran). I did not notice any sparks at the plugs prior to removing the Mag from the Machine.

hector gemme

Try to turning the coupling clockwise and check if he has spark to the point and if he has no spark put your finger on the coil small brace plate if you recieved a schok

BigYellowDozer

I noticed two small cylinder surfaces that make contact with each other at the moment that Red Line matches with, what looks like the letter "C" on the background gear. Once those small surfaces touch-if I then rotate reverse, the surfaces depart from each other and produce a spark. The spark must not be going anywhere though. Maybe the Mag switch has something wrong inside when I switch it to "On"?

I also noticed the letter "M" on the gear further inside the Pony Motor. That must be some sort of timing related reference?

Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_181436186.jpg
    IMG_20231005_181436186.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231005_181503028.jpg
    IMG_20231005_181503028.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231005_181546798.jpg
    IMG_20231005_181546798.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I noticed two small cylinder surfaces that make contact with each other at the moment that Red Line matches with, what looks like the letter "C" on the background gear. Once those small surfaces touch-if I then rotate reverse, the surfaces depart from each other and produce a spark. The spark must not be going anywhere though. Maybe the Mag switch has something wrong inside when I switch it to "On"?

I also noticed the letter "M" on the gear further inside the Pony Motor. That must be some sort of timing related reference?

Thank You.
It looks dry , nothing will have changed since it was last going so what you see in the back won't matter . On mine there is an x on the key cog on your right hand picture on the key and another x in the slot cog in your middle picture , they need to go together . Mine is hard to see in poor light and if its wrong I swap the leads to the plugs . Can you see the dots on your two pictures , one on a tooth and the other bit off set from the shaft center ? They need to line up when reinstalled , I do wonder why the punch mark is offset but unless its loose now it will be alright .

Old Doug

Did you clean and check the points(contacts) gap? If the points are dirty, poor, or the gap wrong, weak or no spark is the result
Its hard to understand how clean points need to be unless you have a real go round with them and get them to work. I have had a lot of condenser problems lately . You would be better off finding someone to help you with your mag its hard to explain what can go wrong with it.

BigYellowDozer

Did you clean and check the points(contacts) gap? If the points are dirty, poor, or the gap wrong, weak or no spark is the result
I may have to do more research on that particular area as this is new to me. But what is what you are referring to the two small cylinder surfaces the spark can be seen being produced? Then no. I cleaned the two closest spots where screws connect wires. I'll have to see what I can do to clean that.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
its a donkey engine to start the main engine check points condenser rotor cap and rotor tower cap the wire that attaches to a magneto is not a + supply its to ground out and stop the donkey engine. magnetos are self sufficient they don't need a power supply to generate a spark

BigYellowDozer

its a donkey engine to start the main engine check points condenser rotor cap and rotor tower cap the wire that attaches to a magneto is not a + supply its to ground out and stop the donkey engine. magnetos are self sufficient they don't need a power supply to generate a spark
I saw a video of someone showing a Mag what was hooked up to a battery and how it was then fried. I was curious how the plugs get a spark w/o a battery. I then remembered that an old Log Splitter we have has a spark plug, but no battery. I thought to myself, could there be a related understanding on the Cat.

BigYellowDozer

I hear that instead of grounding out to stop the Mag (In this case to turn off the Pony Motor), it is instead Wise to just shut the gas off and let the pony run itself out of fuel.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
quite possible thought I saw a wire connected in you pic #3 as a mag turns it has a magnet and a coil in it (just like a old school lawnmower) the points collapse the build up of power and it energizes the spark plug if you had it off in your hang you could turn it and once you over come the spring it will snap and you will get a fair zap if you holding the wire that just fired!

BigYellowDozer

I now noticed a spark making it's way to the post on one of the spark plugs, but not making it to the very end of the plug. Maybe now if I clean those to small cylinder contact points I'll have better success. Will update.

BigYellowDozer

I had the Mag out and I notice after a few spins there was very little-to-no-resistance. Could that mean the magnet was weak? I then placed it back into position on the Cat and the resistance came back and the spark inside the Mag. Is there some sort or Magnet in the gear inside the Motor that helps keep the Magneto functional? If I'm understanding that correct, that's pretty neat.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I had the Mag out and I notice after a few spins there was very little-to-no-resistance. Could that mean the magnet was weak? I then placed it back into position on the Cat and the resistance came back and the spark inside the Mag. Is there some sort or Magnet in the gear inside the Motor that helps keep the Magneto functional? If I'm understanding that correct, that's pretty neat.
I understood you had cleaned the points in your first post . The magneto is self contained and will work away from your dozer . Clean your points with very fine wet and dry sandpaper , make sure they open , I never measure the gap but there would be a proper gap setting . Spending time learning about magneto's before you start is a good idea

There would be many clips on U-Tube about mags probably one for your model

BigYellowDozer

So far I've only been able to get a few pops from the pony when pulling the rope. It's difficult for me to tell if the Magneto is responsible for the few pops (Only supplying a spark only part-time) or if it's just only the force from pulling the rope alone. The Pony doesn't seem to want to continue on it's own power. My most pops I've gotten have been 4 from 1 rope pull.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Have you cleaned the contact points with very fine wet and dry sand paper and reset the gap . There must be no pitting on the points