• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No one will hire me

jayk

What should someone like me do who wants to stay in this field and work for bigger companies but cant get hired anywhere because of my minimal experience? I currently work for a small excavation company as a laborer. I would like to move on to a bigger company. How am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me? Is it even possible or should I choose a different path?

nedly05

If you really want it, stay where you are to get the experience. Bust your butt and learn as much as you can.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you really want it, stay where you are to get the experience. Bust your butt and learn as much as you can.

If you have a paycheck coming in and are able to keep your nose clean and learn things that is what you should do like nedly says. Also don't be too sure working for a bigger company is going to be better. The bigger the company the smaller you will be in the long run. In a small company you might be Jay in a large one you are employee 2288445 on the big spread sheet in a office far away.

jayk

That is true about bigger companies. The only problem I have with my current company is the doesn't really seem to know much and I don't want to learn the wrong way to do things.

yohe41

Occupation
operating engineer/ owner
i agree with kshansen, if you have steady work stick with it and don't be afraid to ask questions, let your boss know that your what your interest are and maybe you can work something out, i started out the same way with a shovel in my hand and just stuck with it. over the years ive worked for all size companies, and i can say with out a doubt you can learn more from the smaller guys, where like it was said your a person not just a number, good luck and remember it just takes time and persistence but if you work hard enough you will get there

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
You gotta understand its actually getting tougher to find quality ppl withgoodwork ethic and honest old fashioned values. Demonstrate thoseand ifyour current employer chooses not to recognize n reward that, someone else will!

i agree with kshansen, if you have steady work stick with it and don't be afraid to ask questions, let your boss know that your what your interest are and maybe you can work something out, i started out the same way with a shovel in my hand and just stuck with it. over the years ive worked for all size companies, and i can say with out a doubt you can learn more from the smaller guys, where like it was said your a person not just a number, good luck and remember it just takes time and persistence but if you work hard enough you will get there

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I work for a large mining company and I feel like a number. Most supervisors are good to us but in the big picture we are all just a body in a machine.
I used to work for a small company less than 100 people. We had company picnics the owner which I knew forever was a generous guy always letting us barrow equipment and stuff. I definitely miss it, but I have good long term stability now.
Just be patient I grew up around equipment on jobs when I was 12, and playing in the yard long before that. it was hard to get people to trust me being so young and knowing more than their so called experienced operators. Learn what you can now and when you get on another place build on what you already learned.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I employ many guys just like you and would advise the same as all the rest.

From my viewpoint, an employer can't have too many good guys. I am always on the search for energetic smart people to help me get things done.

Your task is pretty simple. All you need to do is demonstrate that you can complete every task properly, without breaking anything, without creating more problems, without a lot of direction. If your boss can depend on you every day for every task, you will soon find yourself in charge of others. It all about building confidence in your bosses mind. Its that simple. (You may think you're work is stellar, but it's what your boss thinks that matters)

So be quick to lend a hand. Take advice from the smart guys around you and memorize it (learning from others is way cheaper than learning from mistakes). Think ahead to foresee problems before they occur.

There seems to be a myth out there amongst young operators that getting in the seat is the ultimate goal. But that is really just the start. Knowing what to do once you are there can take many years. So pay attention to how things are done, and not done, so you will know when given the chance.

Good luck, you'll get there....

Ken

390eric

There seems to be a myth out there amongst young operators that getting in the seat is the ultimate goal. But that is really just the start. Knowing what to do once you are there can take many years. So pay attention to how things are done, and not done, so you will know when given the chance.

Good luck, you'll get there....

Ken

Speaking as a younger operator, that is moving up the ranks, that is the best quote or saying I have seen on this subject.

Quick story, about 3 years ago when I started to move up to operating full time. The super had me loading trucks and doing more bulk excavation. We finished one job, went to the next one. He said, need more guys that can dig pipe, want to try it. So of course I jumped at the chance. Had been laying pipe for a couple years, not the best, but gave my best everyday( thats the key to proving oneself). I watched him for years in that machine and he made it look so easy and I always knew his next move. I got into that seat and I was dumbfounded. Struggled through it, it was damn difficult. Surprised the hell out of me, always thought I jump in there and bam, be awesome, not so much. I learned a lot, ended up not doing it for very long. Took me awhile,I bounced around from dozer, compactor and other machines. Now back into excavator, and just started really digging pipe again this winter. It was a lot easier because I had more seat time, more experience, more knowledge. Still not my favorite thing to do, I am a bulk guy, love banging out trucks all day long.

The reason to that story is learn everything you can, because no matter how much you think you know there is always a lot more to learn. Keep at and give your everything everyday.

chroniekon

Two basics that will put you ahead of your competition. Show up on time, everyday. Leave your phone in your car/truck.

Grease Gun

All these guys are dead on. A hard working guy who keeps his mouth shut and has a good attitude gets the nod every time. You have to pay your dues, earn the trust and respect of your supervisor or boss. Things aren't always going to go your way, but you get over it and move ahead with a good attitude. If you do all this, your time will come for two reasons. First, because, as these other guys have said, good people are hard to find, and sooner or later, it happens for them. Second, because other people are going to come and go, and a slot will open up. Wen you get the chance, ask for your shot.

If you are a laborer now, and you leave for another company, your going to start there as a laborer too. If a year or two goes by and you haven't had an opportunity, then maybe you should think about moving on. But if we're only talking two or three months, then settle down and be patient.

Bottom line......you gotta pay your dues.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I work for a large mining company and I feel like a number. Most supervisors are good to us but in the big picture we are all just a body in a machine.
I used to work for a small company less than 100 people. We had company picnics the owner which I knew forever was a generous guy always letting us barrow equipment and stuff. I definitely miss it, but I have good long term stability now.
Just be patient I grew up around equipment on jobs when I was 12, and playing in the yard long before that. it was hard to get people to trust me being so young and knowing more than their so called experienced operators. Learn what you can now and when you get on another place build on what you already learned.

My experience was a bit different started as a "ground man" in a stone quarry, not a real small company but one where top management knew who most of the employees. Had company picnics, Christmas dinner with wives invited, end of year bonuses based on years of service. Maybe three levels of management from local superintendent to top guy in head office. If you need some stone for your driveway or blacktop no problem just don't use it for making money on the side. Have a project you need an air compressor and pavement breaker at home, fine just make sure it is taken care of and back at the plant Monday morning. Now after take overs and mergers we are a minor part of a worldwide company. Need stone for home, there is an employee discount often cheaper to go to the competitors quarry down the road. Want to use company equipment for personal use, that is referred to as theft of company assets. Now even managers one level above local superintendent is seldom seen and very unlikely he has any who you are even those of use that have been with the company for 30 to 40+ years and are second generation employees with family roots back to the early 1950's.

So if I'm not brimming with joy when someone dreams of a job with a "Big Company" I hope you will understand.

jayk

I see what everyone is saying. What I mean when I say a big company is a place bigger than where I work wich at most has 4 people and a hand full of 48 hour long jobs and a few 2-4 week long jobs. I don't mean a company that has 500 employees. I am fine with being a laborer as long as I am constantly learning how it all works and how to do everything right. My issue is my boss hardly seems to know what he is doing and I don't trust him to teach me anything the correct way. He has put me on excavators and then just left me all day assuming I could handle the task with very little instruction and no prior experience other than the little I had picked up just messing around after work. I just want to be with a company that is professional and has people that can actually teach me everything I need to know but it seems impossible.
I am applying for a 4 year apprenticeship soon so maybe that will work out and it will relieve my worries.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Leaving you alone on a excavator all day was letting you learn undisturbed.
He could have just as easily stood out of range and hollered orders and pointed out your every mistake to finally pull you out of the seat and back on your feet with a shovel, rake, and sledge.

Count your blessings. Lots of guys would probably kill to have your chance.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Leaving you alone on a excavator all day was letting you learn undisturbed.
He could have just as easily stood out of range and hollered orders and pointed out your every mistake to finally pull you out of the seat and back on your feet with a shovel, rake, and sledge.

Count your blessings. Lots of guys would probably kill to have your chance.

+100

it was probably more of a test than anything else anyway :) And one more thing about 'big' companies..... just because they are big does not mean they do everything right :) they do things the way the office bosses say.