• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No drive on JCB

mrh1966

Hi all, I have a JCB 214 series 3 on an island in the Bahamas. The s/n is 0900368. The problem is we have lost all drive to the wheels. It is 4 speed with a shuttle change on the steering column. It is leaking some fluid from around the gearbox/torque converter case but I can't see where it is coming from!
When you put it in gear and place the shuttle into forward or reverse it doesn't jolt as if it has engaged. But if you Rev the engine fully it tries to move forward or backward. I am hoping this is an easy fix, something I might be overlooking? Any help would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Malcs

mrh1966

Yes matey. Oil levels are checked and topped up as required. It did run ok but has slowly lost its power. Thanks

d4c24a

clean the suction screen and change the filter first , are you checking the level how the book tells you to

mrh1966

Thanks I will find and clean the suction filter, changing filter may be a problems as have no spares with me!

cyberbiker0

Occupation
Welder
I had this VERY same problem with my JCB Sitemaster. The problem was in the screen element. it was so full of gunk & metal shavings that it kept the oil from entering the oil pan. I opened the drain plug & nothing came out. i went to change the filter & oil started glugging out from near the top of the trany, when i pulled the screen filter, i needed a 5 gallon bucket to catch it all.

the screen element is cleanable & reusable ...as long as there is no damage to the screen. it made all the difference.

JCB dirty element 005.jpg

Last edited:

mrh1966

Thank you all for your help. I cleaned the suction filter, replaced the oil and I now have drive. Only problem is I have a leak which is coming from the top of the gearbox somewhere. I don't think it is from the filter seal. Any ideas? I noticed from the drawings in the post that it has a pipe which goes over the box to the other side but I can't see it or find it! Could it be this? If so how do I get at it?

mrh1966

I have got the machine travelling again........cleaned out suction filter and new oil......still got leak!!!
I think it is coming from filter. I have removed and cleaned as best I can.....found new seal for it, put back on but still leaking!!!..... I think the seam has gone on the filter so will have to be fixed properly when I come out next.....$10 part but unable to get quick enough as in the Bahamas